+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in canada work in US

parahsalin

Jan 22, 2015
Hey
So I'm a nurse from the US, and am staying in Canada with my boyfriend under a visitors visa.

I am about 40 mins away from the US border. Is it possible for me to still work as a nurse in the US, say a few times a month, and cross the border to stay with my boyfriend?

I have about 4 months til all my nursing paperwork comes through here in Canada and can be working as a nurse here.

Thoughts?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
parahsalin said:
So I'm a nurse from the US, and am staying in Canada with my boyfriend under a visitors visa.

I am about 40 mins away from the US border. Is it possible for me to still work as a nurse in the US, say a few times a month, and cross the border to stay with my boyfriend?

I have about 4 months til all my nursing paperwork comes through here in Canada and can be working as a nurse here.

Thoughts?
Probably no problem so long as it is clear you are, in the meantime, really just visiting Canada, not living in Canada. Thus, so long as you retain employment in the U.S., and have a residential address in the U.S., the odds are very good that you could travel back and forth regularly for at least several months. Doing a daily commute, however, might invite a referral to secondary at the POE, where how you answer the questions could affect the examining officer's conclusions and decisions.

I assume the paperwork you are referring to includes obtaining an immigration work permit, that is temporary status allowing you to live and work in Canada. It may be worth remembering that temporary means temporary. If your plans were to live permanently in Canada that could be a problem . . . unless, of course, you are obtaining status to live in Canada permanently. In contrast, if your plans are to live and work temporarily in Canada, while you think about the possibility of permanently settling in Canada later, that should work.

These things usually go quite smoothly for most Americans, but "usually" encompasses a "not always." As long as you are mindful of what you are doing, paying attention to and following the rules, being honest in dealing with POE officers and CIC, and cognizant that relative to Canada you are a foreign national, all should go well.

There are other conferences and topics at this site more specifically about visitors, temporary foreign workers, and workers seeking Permanent Resident status. You may want to visit some of those discussions.