+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's have an immigrant vote: Are you for or against the List of 38 occupations?

KGB

Nov 15, 2008
I don't know why I cannot open a poll on this forum but lets have a manual poll:

Option 1: If you are in favor of the new List of 38 occupations and the conservative government.

Option 2: If you are not in favor of the new List of 38 occupations and you would like the Liberal party to form a coalition government with the NDP and the support of Quebec to topple the conservative government and reinstitute the old rules with better funding and more staff to process applications.
(This is very likely to happen on the 8 December)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/11/28/fed-govt.html

Please vote “Option 1” or “Option 2”.

Brown eyed girl

Nov 16, 2008
Option 2. Without any doubt. I am happy for the people on the 38 list, don't get me wrong - but it seems cruel to write off all those other people who are just as deserving but happen to have slightly different professions. Yes I know the list of 38 is the most needed professions in Canada, but that does not mean the other applicants won't bring valuable skills to the country.

KGB

Nov 15, 2008
I'll second that.
I vote “Option 2”. (Let's have the "Liberal government" in power with no list of 38 occupations..)

Brown eyed girl

Nov 16, 2008
KGB, if the Liberals do win, how can we petition for them to revoke this unjust law? Do they have a website or e-mail address we can write to?

Or alternatively what if the new rules could just be made more fair by:

a) ok, let's expedite the people on the 38 list AND
b) add more staff and make a better effort to process all other applicants who scored 67 points but are not on 38 list (ok so it will take longer than those on 38 list, but at least we won't be 'written off' as if we're some old junk nobody needs.

KGB

Nov 15, 2008
Brown eyed girl:

In the last election the Liberal Party promised that if elected they would:
1. Revoke the new immigration laws, brought in by the conservative government. (and)
2. Remove any list that offers priority processing to certain immigrants above others.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Liberal Party takes power on the 8 of December there will be no more "list of 38 occupations". I therefore don't think that it is necessary to petition them to do something that they have already resolved to do. (But I don’t think that it could do any harm to remind them that “we” immigrants are being harmed by this list).

http://www.liberal.ca/contact_e.aspx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From an immigrants point of view, of course it would be best if there were absolutely no requirements and you could immigrate same day but for the good of the country that is taking in the immigrants, I can definitely see the point of having a priority list. Why should you bring in people you don't need while the people you need are waiting?

I also don't agree that the list of 38 is hurting immigrants. The list of 38 helps the immigrants whose occupations are on it. They can get in faster instead of having to wait for years. As for the immigrants who are not on it, it gives them a bit of a reality check that even if you have a lot of education and/or experience, it might not be so easy to find a job. If they still feel they are needed in Canada, they just have to prove it by getting an AEO and they are in.

Otherwise, it's kind of pointless to discuss who wants what to happen. None of use have any control over what will happen. I guess what we said before the new rules still goes. We'll see what happens when it happens. Everything else is just speculation.

Brown eyed girl

Nov 16, 2008
I know what you're saying Leon, and you probably don't mean it in a nasty way. But I do believe that you cannot just 'box' people in into 38 tidy little packages and tell everyone else to sod off. Yes I know what you mean about a reality check, but then there are loads of other jobs us immigrants could fill. And as my Canadian friend was telling me today, just because you have an occupation that is on the 38 list, does not mean you'll actually find a job in your field. If anything, people who immigrated under the old rules (like my cousins, 30 years ago) went there prepared to do anything and they worked their socks off. Both my cousins are retired now, have nice houses in the suburbs and watch their 'Canadian' children and grandchildren growing up happy. But they were only able to do this because back then they were not labled with a "thanks, but no thanks". Unfortunately they don't count as 'family members' for the purpose of sponsoring us, so you can imagine how frustrating it is.

A

adnan_hsn

I would actually go for option 1. And my reasons for that are as follows:

You must agree that immigration is a selfish thing in itself. When one leaves his homeland to settle in another country for economic reasons, he does it purely for his own interest. So, why shouldn't governments be selfish and design their immigration policies in a way that benefit them economically. Why bring someone and his family to country who wont be able to find suitable employment end up claiming state benefits. How can someone give his kids a good life on state funding, send them to good schools and universities to educate them so they can be good citizens of the future. And then how about the kids of their kids? Need I state reasons for the growing youth crime in Canada??

So, yes, clear and loud Option 1.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Option #2 - however, you will have to realize that there is a strong conservative flavor in Alberta and Western Canada. How can you topple a stronghold like that?.

In any event, it seems kind of silly fast tracking certain occupations when there are many people (which includes myself) that are more than qualified, have enough money and points, and maybe wouldn't work in Canada anyway becasue they have enough money without working at all. I am seriously considering marrying my fiance - having the service in Alberta, and maybe having her sponsor me as 'family'.

I am a good person with an excellent character - I guess we all have to downgrade ourselves to come to Canada.

Thanks, ottawa!

Brown eyed girl

Nov 16, 2008
To adnan_hsn and rupeshhari - I respect your opinions (after all that is democracy) but I resent any implication that immigrants not on the 38 list are coming over there to claim state benefits. If I wanted to claim state benefits, I would stay in my home country (UK) where people expect the state to pay for everything for them - I would know because I am a welfare and benefits officer and the tricks people will come up with to avoid going out to work and claim incapacity is something unreal. But I have worked hard all my life, since leaving college (18 years ago) and am still studying towards a degree. And if I did come to Canada, I don't expect to be doing the same job I'm doing here; if I have to wait on tables or work as a check-out girl in a supermarket, to me that is an honest job because I am not stealing from anyone or hurting anyone. People who persevere and work hard in life get rewarded.

Yes, in ideal world if "we're so good at our jobs" then we'll get job offers and LMO's, but it's no walk in the park finding an employer thousands of miles away, who's never met us and who will just be willing to take a chance on us, just for kicks. This is the last I have to say on this particular subject because I can only ever root for the underdog. If I were on the 38 list, I would still have the same views.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I vote “Option 2” with both hands :)

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I have researched on it, investment is for Managers and business owners, of which I am not of. To claim as such would possibly considered fraudulant.

A

adnan_hsn

Brown eyed girl said:
To adnan_hsn and rupeshhari - I respect your opinions (after all that is democracy) but I resent any implication that immigrants not on the 38 list are coming over there to claim state benefits.
Brown eyed girl: Just a bit of clarification - I never meant that people who are not on the 38 list would go to Canada to claim benefits. What I meant was that if they cant find suitable employments after they immigrate, they will have no choice but to claim state benefits.

Probably you know more than me about this area as you work as a benefit officer, but to be honest an inappropriate benefit system is one of my own big motivations to leave UK. I pay too much in taxes to feed the guy who lives a few houses down the street and is very fond of daytime telly.