+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing preparation

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
I am under family sponsorship outside of Canada. My husband has been approved for Canadian citizenship since 1996 and he declared to live outside of Canada since 1997. He has since then been living in Hong Kong. We have married for 10 years and now once my PR application gets approved, we will both land and we are planning to land in Vancouver. To help us get prepared, appreciate very much answers or tips to our questions,

1/ what procedures and documents that we should be prepared when we land through Vancouver immigration and custom? any advice for me as the PR applicant? for my husband who is citizen and declared to live outside of Canada since 1997?

2/ what we have to do once after landing? what else in addition to below?
- apply SIN
- open bank account
- apply health insurance
- anything else...?

3/ we heard about we need to present a summary of our financial portfolio and possession of goods at the Custom when we land? any template or forms for this purpose? what proof is required to endorse the value of items included on this summary, especially the property that we live in Hong Kong now which we may not be able to sell before we go landing?

Thanks a lot!

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
Congratulations and goodluck on your journey.

1 you'll need in person all the documents the visa office gave you.

2 your drivers license and insurance from a private company until BC issued you their health card

3 dont sell you house in HK. You might decide to go back there when you get your citizenship. So long you have $ to keep yourself afloat for 3 month, your awesome.

I'm very sorry if I cannot help further. Surely some members here knows more than I do.

I have a question though, when your husband declared to live outside Canada when he got his citizenship, is he still paying taxes here too?
Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) For customs purposes, if you would be forwarding things from Hong Kong, be sure to prepare the B4 form. You can find the form and guidelines here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

2) For driver license and BC auto plan, bring your Hong Kong driver license and no-claims letter from your current car insurance company in Hong Kong which contains information such as the insurance period and name of drivers.

3) You don't need to present a summary of your financial portfolio at customs. However, you would need the B4 form if you are forwarding / shipping things from Hong Kong to Canada. If so, you would need the shipping documents when the goods arrived at the port of Vancouver. May I know what you would be doing with the HK property after both you and your spouse move to Canada?

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
Hi Edgar, Hi Steaky,
Thanks for your advice.

Hi Steaky,
For our property in HK, we may not be able to sell it before we go landing (too rush). We guess realistically we will only have a short stay in Vancouver for landing and then need to come back HK to sell the property. We may just keep it vacant before we sell, as we understand there will be implication on global income if we rent it out once we become tax resident.
Any further tips appreciated on handling the property. Thanks.