+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada - Custom Clearance Questions

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
hi All,

A brief background, i had done my soft landing in Nov last year and had filled the form for Goods to Carry and Good to follow. I am now moving to Alberta permanently and will be carrying personal items, including jewellery and electronics (all of which were declared in goods to follow earlier).

My query is, i am taking a connecting flight via Montreal with few hours layover. I understand that the immigration will be done in Montreal and then there will be a domestic flight forward. Also, i have been given to understand by emirates airlines that since i have booked tickets under same PNR, i will get my baggage at the final destination only.

I am now not sure of the customs clerance at Montreal, as most of the things i will be carrying and declaring the value during the immigration will be in the luggage. How will this work at the customs in case they want to check. I will only be with my cabin baggage when in Montreal.

Any idea how to deal with this or any guidelines that i need to follow while landing.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
hi All,

A brief background, i had done my soft landing in Nov last year and had filled the form for Goods to Carry and Good to follow. I am now moving to Alberta permanently and will be carrying personal items, including jewellery and electronics (all of which were declared in goods to follow earlier).

My query is, i am taking a connecting flight via Montreal with few hours layover. I understand that the immigration will be done in Montreal and then there will be a domestic flight forward. Also, i have been given to understand by emirates airlines that since i have booked tickets under same PNR, i will get my baggage at the final destination only.

I am now not sure of the customs clerance at Montreal, as most of the things i will be carrying and declaring the value during the immigration will be in the luggage. How will this work at the customs in case they want to check. I will only be with my cabin baggage when in Montreal.

Any idea how to deal with this or any guidelines that i need to follow while landing.
In YUL you will have to collect your checked in baggage even though it is TAGGED through to your destination. After customs and Immigration take your bags to the check in area for the airline for your domestic flight where you will give it to them. Generally there is a place that will say "Baggage drop off", look for that and go to that counter. Keep all your valuables in your carry-on baggage not you checked in and be sure to declare it to customs on the form.