+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - Billy Bishop Airport Toronto

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
My wife and I landed yesterday. We flew in from Boston, a short 90 min flight, and landed at about 3:30 PM. Billy Bishop airport is really small, which is great because there were absolutely no lines.

At passport control we told the CBSA officer that we were landing as permanent residents. She was very friendly and welcomed us to Canada, and wished us the very best. She looked over our the entry form and wrote some stuff on it with a pink sharpie, and then told us to go inside to the CBSA counters where they would complete the rest of the paperwork. This first step took less than 5 minutes from getting off the plane.

We walked in to the baggage area and collected our bag. After that, we went to the baggage inspection area, where they send you if they need to check your bags. This is a biggish room that's just to the left of the baggage claim. We saw four CBSA officers manning the counters, and they were attending to people who had walked in before us. I don't think those people were landing as PRs, it sounded like they just needed a secondary baggage inspection.

We waited about 5 minutes for our turn, after which a lady called us over. She was less friendly - perfectly polite, but not smiling or as welcoming as the first lady. Still, nothing to complain about, she just looked like she was having a long day, and she certainly wasn't rude or anything.

I told her we were landing as PRs. She then took our COPRs and passports, and asked the following questions - my answers follow the questions. It was a rapid fire series of questions and answers - I answered briefly and she moved on to the next question.

1. Where are you coming from? Boston, Indian citizens
2. What's your status in the US? H1B,H4
3. Have you ever been in trouble with the police in any country? No
4. How much money are you bringing with you? 500 CAD cash, and we have ~$xx,000 CAD in a bank account
5. Canadian bank account? No, US bank, we can access the funds in Canada.
6. Are you two married? Yes
7. Do you have any other dependents? No

At this point she said that we should go and sit down in the waiting area (a few chairs line the hall), and she'd call us back. She didn't ask for any documents except for the COPR and passports.

We sat down and she took about 10 minutes on her computer, after which she called us back. She asked for our Canadian address, and we gave her our friend's address in Quebec. This was the only snag - she told us that would not be allowed, and that she would admit us with no address, and we'd have to change it later. We obviously weren't going to argue with her, so we said sure, no prob.

After this, I gave her our list of goods to follow. We had a nicely organized list with the total value of goods prominently listed right up top. She took that list and told us to go back and wait.

We then saw here take our list into an office and make photocopies. This took about 5 minutes, and then she called us back and gave us a Customs form that stated that we would be bringing in $xx,000 worth of goods, and we owed zero duty on it. She gave us one copy of the list, and kept one copy.

And that was it. She told us were all set, and we could exit the hall on the left. We thanked her, and walked through the turnstile, as permanent residents. It felt really good.

The entire process from getting off the flight to walking out of the airport took roughly 40 minutes. We have no complaints about how we were treated - the second lady wasn't effusive like the first one was, but she was professional, polite, and did everything as quickly as she could.

We reached our hotel by 4:30, and took the rest of the evening off to have fun.

Next morning (Friday), we went to City Hall at 8:45 AM. The SIN process was quick and easy, taking about 30 min from start to finish. Everyone was really welcoming and kept congratulating us on arriving as PRs - it helped that it's Canada day and Toronto is essentially in party mode.

With SIN numbers in hand, we went and opened 2 bank accounts, one with TD and the other with Scotia. Again, the bank employees were really nice to us. All you need to open a bank account is your SIN, COPR and passport, along with a Canadian address (can be your friend's address, they don't need proof of address).

We got unsecured credit cards with a $2,000 limit from both banks as part of their Permanent Resident package. This is without any credit history in Canada.

The bank accounts took a few hours since we had to make appointments and wait a bit (they're understaffed with the long weekend coming up), but it was no big deal. By 5 PM we were done, and later that night we watched the Barenaked Ladies perform live, and also enjoyed our very first Canada Day fireworks! We felt very Canadian :)

PS: Poutine is even better than they say it is!

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
My wife and I landed yesterday. We flew in from Boston, a short 90 min flight, and landed at about 3:30 PM. Billy Bishop airport is really small, which is great because there were absolutely no lines.

At passport control we told the CBSA officer that we were landing as permanent residents. She was very friendly and welcomed us to Canada, and wished us the very best. She looked over our the entry form and wrote some stuff on it with a pink sharpie, and then told us to go inside to the CBSA counters where they would complete the rest of the paperwork. This first step took less than 5 minutes from getting off the plane.

We walked in to the baggage area and collected our bag. After that, we went to the baggage inspection area, where they send you if they need to check your bags. This is a biggish room that's just to the left of the baggage claim. We saw four CBSA officers manning the counters, and they were attending to people who had walked in before us. I don't think those people were landing as PRs, it sounded like they just needed a secondary baggage inspection.

We waited about 5 minutes for our turn, after which a lady called us over. She was less friendly - perfectly polite, but not smiling or as welcoming as the first lady. Still, nothing to complain about, she just looked like she was having a long day, and she certainly wasn't rude or anything.

I told her we were landing as PRs. She then took our COPRs and passports, and asked the following questions - my answers follow the questions. It was a rapid fire series of questions and answers - I answered briefly and she moved on to the next question.

4. How much money are you bringing with you? 500 CAD cash, and we have ~$xx,000 CAD in a bank account

At this point she said that we should go and sit down in the waiting area (a few chairs line the hall), and she'd call us back. She didn't ask for any documents except for the COPR and passports.

We sat down and she took about 10 minutes on her computer, after which she called us back. She asked for our Canadian address, and we gave her our friend's address in Quebec. This was the only snag - she told us that would not be allowed, and that she would admit us with no address, and we'd have to change it later. We obviously weren't going to argue with her, so we said sure, no prob.

After this, I gave her our list of goods to follow. We had a nicely organized list with the total value of goods prominently listed right up top. She took that list and told us to go back and wait.

We then saw here take our list into an office and make photocopies. This took about 5 minutes, and then she called us back and gave us a Customs form that stated that we would be bringing in $xx,000 worth of goods, and we owed zero duty on it. She gave us one copy of the list, and kept one copy.

And that was it. She told us were all set, and we could exit the hall on the left. We thanked her, and walked through the turnstile, as permanent residents. It felt really good.

The entire process from getting off the flight to walking out of the airport took roughly 40 minutes. We have no complaints about how we were treated - the second lady wasn't effusive like the first one was, but she was professional, polite, and did everything as quickly as she could.

Next morning (Friday), we went to City Hall at 8:45 AM. The SIN process was quick and easy, taking about 30 min from start to finish. Everyone was really welcoming and kept congratulating us on arriving as PRs - it helped that it's Canada day and Toronto is essentially in party mode.

With SIN numbers in hand, we went and opened 2 bank accounts, one with TD and the other with Scotia. Again, the bank employees were really nice to us. All you need to open a bank account is your SIN, COPR and passport, along with a Canadian address (can be your friend's address, they don't need proof of address).

We got unsecured credit cards with a $2,000 limit from both banks as part of their Permanent Resident package. This is without any credit history in Canada.

The bank accounts took a few hours since we had to make appointments and wait a bit (they're understaffed with the long weekend coming up), but it was no big deal. By 5 PM we were done, and later that night we watched the Barenaked Ladies perform live, and also enjoyed our very first Canada Day fireworks! We felt very Canadian :)

Nice one!
Thanks for sharing.

Emilie

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks for sharing, it will help when my turn comes.

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17

Great post. Thank you for sharing.

manashdeb

Jun 5, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for sharing this very useful info. I was just about to cancel my Porter flight as no-one shared experience at Belly Bishop. A big thanks to you for sharing this!!!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, I did fill out part B. I put in 3 days as the duration of stay. I don't think it matters, I wasn't asked any questions.

Rtandon82

Sep 2, 2017
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. So if they didn't accept you address, where would your PR cards be posted to? Did they give any reason for not accepting the address?

Rishi

Froggie1984

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017

What a wonderful happy post! So glad I came across it. Congratulations to you guys and best of luck in your new life in Canada!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. So if they didn't accept you address, where would your PR cards be posted to? Did they give any reason for not accepting the address?

Rishi
You need to update the address afterwards - you can do this online, or over the phone.

The officer told me that addresses in Quebec weren't acceptable if you weren't going to live in that province. I believe she was misinformed, but I wasn't going to argue with her. I knew I could update the address later (and she told me that as well), so it wasn't really a big deal.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll fly to US for a day trip and land at city airport on my way back in two weeks time. Hope everything would go smoothly as planned:D

Froggie1984

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Thank you. We're moving for good in early Oct. Can't wait :)
So you're going just in time for the famous Ontario winter :-D (I take it you're moving to Toronto). Jokes aside, October is stunning in Ontario, enjoy the colours! You might still catch a few warm days too.
If I had the PR already, I'd be getting my husband and son and moving first thing too :) Fingers crossed, we get it soon and can start planning our move too.
All the best!