+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Labour Marketing Opinion Advice

ahern2007

Apr 9, 2008
Hello-
I am from the U.S. and recently completed a four step interview process with a bank. Throughout the interview process I had informed them that I was trying to become a foreign worker and also about the labour marketing opinion. Today I got a call from the bank's HR with a job offer, the position starts in August but could be flexible. I was thrilled, but that quickly turned into dissapointment after I mentioned the completion of the labour marketing opinion. She told me that she was not aware of my situation, which I found very hard to believe. In every interview, the labour marketing opinion was mentioned and discussed. She told me that she had worked in HR for twenty years and never heard of a labour marketing opinion. I told her that everyone else in the interview process knew what it was and I then began to explain it to her. Is it illegal to offer a job for a position and then take it back because I am a foreign worker? What happened to the North American Free Trade Agreement?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ahern2007 said:
Hello-
I am from the U.S. and recently completed a four step interview process with a bank. Throughout the interview process I had informed them that I was trying to become a foreign worker and also about the labour marketing opinion. Today I got a call from the bank's HR with a job offer, the position starts in August but could be flexible. I was thrilled, but that quickly turned into dissapointment after I mentioned the completion of the labour marketing opinion. She told me that she was not aware of my situation, which I found very hard to believe. In every interview, the labour marketing opinion was mentioned and discussed. She told me that she had worked in HR for twenty years and never heard of a labour marketing opinion. I told her that everyone else in the interview process knew what it was and I then began to explain it to her. Is it illegal to offer a job for a position and then take it back because I am a foreign worker? What happened to the North American Free Trade Agreement?
1. They can rescind the job offer as you are not legally entitled to work in Canada.
2. Only certain jobs are LMO exempt under NAFTA it has to be one of the following : http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/fw/fw01e.pdf page 149
3. It is the employer's choice whether they wish to apply for an LMO or not.

PMM