+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Joining the Canadian Army

crisscross

Mar 11, 2011
I am currently serving in the British Army and coming to the end of my Military career (22yrs) and I am looking at immigrating to Canada and joining the Canadian Forces. I am a skilled worker being a vehicle mechanic throughout my army career however now in management within the REME (equivalent to your CF EME) and a Warrant Officer Class 2 (WO2). I am married with two children aged 11 and 12, my wife is qualified in child care (NVQ level 3, UK).

We have been lucky enough to serve for the British Army in CFB Suffield, Alberta for 2 yrs on a Visa and now returning back to UK to finish off my career. We would love to return and seriously thinking of immigrating and would like any info on how I can go about either transferring or joining the Canadian Forces.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
crisscross said:
I am currently serving in the British Army and coming to the end of my Military career (22yrs) and I am looking at immigrating to Canada and joining the Canadian Forces. I am a skilled worker being a vehicle mechanic throughout my army career however now in management within the REME (equivalent to your CF EME) and a Warrant Officer Class 2 (WO2). I am married with two children aged 11 and 12, my wife is qualified in child care (NVQ level 3, UK).

We have been lucky enough to serve for the British Army in CFB Suffield, Alberta for 2 yrs on a Visa and now returning back to UK to finish off my career. We would love to return and seriously thinking of immigrating and would like any info on how I can go about either transferring or joining the Canadian Forces.
Unfortunately only a Citizen can join the Canadian Forces - not even a PR.
Under very rare & specific conditions/requirements - the Military might recruit/select a PR or an overseas candidate, under short contract -- but that occurs only when his/her trade/specialization is of imminent & immense need to the forces -- and s/he would yet not be appointed/contracted on 'active duty'.

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

2. Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
•Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older
OR
•Primary Reserve applicants, who must be 17 years of age or older

3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
•Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation.

I've known RAF guys getting 'deputation' assignments [2yrs] under a treaty of the Crown, but that need to be mooted internally, I guess u were party to it already [@Alberta]. But, to be able to join afresh -- Bro, u need to settle down here first... and that calls for 4-5 yrs hence [after PR].

Think about it!

Qorax

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Under very rare & specific conditions/requirements - the Military might recruit/select a PR or an overseas candidate, under short contract -- but that occurs only when his/her trade/specialization is of imminent & immense need to the forces -- and s/he would yet not be appointed/contracted on 'active duty'.

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

•Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older
OR

3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
•Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation.

I've known RAF guys getting 'deputation' assignments [2yrs] under a treaty of the Crown, but that need to be mooted internally, I guess u were party to it already [ @ Alberta]. But, to be able to join afresh -- Bro, u need to settle down here first... and that calls for 4-5 yrs hence [after PR].

Think about it!

Qorax
Sir, appreciate your level of knowledge and how informative you are. +1 for you.

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Thanks Quorax, Quite an educative post!!!

Is there any age group that is restricted from joining the Canadian military?

KC

qorax said:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

OR

I've known RAF guys getting 'deputation' assignments [2yrs] under a treaty of the Crown, but that need to be mooted internally, I guess u were party to it already [ @ Alberta]. But, to be able to join afresh -- Bro, u need to settle down here first... and that calls for 4-5 yrs hence [after PR].

Think about it!

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Kcsider said:
Thanks Quorax, Quite an educative post!!!

Is there any age group that is restricted from joining the Canadian military?

KC
U may read further here...
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/joining-enroler/eligibility-admissibilite-eng.asp

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
qorax said:
U may read further here...
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/joining-enroler/eligibility-admissibilite-eng.asp
Many thanks sir, i appreciate this

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kcsider said:
Many thanks sir, i appreciate this
If you have a skill that the Canadian military is in real need of, you can get a Citizenship waiver from the Canadian Forces. You would have to talk to a recruiting officer.

DaddyKool

Mar 12, 2011
qorax said:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

OR

Think about it!

Qorax
very informative indeed.

weddingtonite

Star Member
Mar 13, 2011
qorax said:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

OR

Think about it!

Qorax
is the same true for american army mr qorax

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
Hi Crisscross,

Sorry to take this differently, but serving in military for 22 yrs in the UK and you want to immigrate! Is not this too much! This is bit strange.

I believe someone like you should be recognized, appreciated and rewarded for long service to settle in his own place, his own home within his own friends and family, not to start a totally new life with new challenges, friends and people.

Am I missing the point here!

Anyway, I wish you sincerely all luck and success.

Regards,
Mezo