+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Relevancy to Education

k6169582

Aug 7, 2023
Hey everyone,

I recently heard this story and wanted to share it here to gather some insights.

A friend shared a story about someone who studied Fisheries but ended up working as a manager at a gas station. When he later applied for PR through Express Entry with a provincial letter, through which he gained the extra 600 points, his application got denied by IRCC, citing a lack of relevance between education and job. (It was after getting called for ITA)

Even a second attempt through AIP with the manager role faced the same fate. (Submitted application to IRCC & then got refused)

Though he wanted to appeal this decision, the lawyer said that IRCC's decision was right, so he wasn't able to take any actions against it & hence, was compelled to go back to his home country.

It got me thinking – does your degree need to align with your job for Express Entry qualification, or are there instances where they can differ? Let's discuss!

Many people have been getting PR through Express Entry despite taking on roles like managers in retails that are totally unrelated to their degree.

A friend of mine who's working as an Assistant Manager at a retail store, got his PR through EE CEC most recently)

The reason why I'm asking this is because I got a Bachelor's degree in Business Admin from a DLI approved Canadian institution, but now I'm planning to work as a Pharmacy Assistant with no prior education or work experience in the field of Pharmacy, so that I can be eligible to apply for PR under Category Based EE stream (Healthcare).

Will I be at the risk of getting refused by IRCC because of doing a job that isn't relevant to my degree?