+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job opportunities in Canada vs the UK

erode

Jul 14, 2016
johnjkjk said:
The UK is a great place. However do bear in mind that doors are closed for immigrants. It used to be possible to stay on after completing a degree, but this is no longer possible. Recent example from the media- an Australian family with Scottish ancestry living in Scotland for many years, their son's native language is Scots Gaelic, but they are set to be deported because of strict immigration rules.
recent Brexit might change a lot of immigration rules ,for this Australian family,I think they were given opportunity to find job in one of working categories but they failed to do so.I assume that is just for international students,although as I said we might see lots of change because of brexit

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
erode said:
recent Brexit might change a lot of immigration rules ,for this Australian family,I think they were given opportunity to find job in one of working categories but they failed to do so.I assume that is just for international students,although as I said we might see lots of change because of brexit
Brexit is an anti-immigration platform. The idea is to further curtail immigration, this time from Europe.

You refer to 'one of the working categories', but there is only one, which is a sponsored work permit (Tier 2). It's virtually impossible to get an RLMT (like an LMIA but much harder) and the minimum salary threshold is very high. There used to be a route for international students to get a 2 year work permit, which could be extended without RLMT- this was closed, along with the highly skilled route, artists and creative persons route etc. Tier 2 is also capped at a few thousand. Compare this to Canada's inward migration of half a million a year in various categories. Brexiteers want to deport non-English whites, even if they have PR status.

erode

Jul 14, 2016
can you show the link to these changes?these are rapid massive changes ,basically closing down all immigration gates

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
erode said:
can you show the link to these changes?these are rapid massive changes ,basically closing down all immigration gates
This was done around around 4-5 years ago when the Conservative government came into power (2010), who were elected with with a manifesto promise to "bring net migration down to the tens of thousands". They immediately closed the only routes that they could and severely curtailed work permit holders. Even those who are already on work permits now need to have a minimum salary threshold. Many professionals now have to return after working for 5-6 years because they won't quality for ILR (PR).

It is no longer possible to bring over parents. Spouses also have to be earning a minimum salary level- disadvantaging women in particular.

However since half of net migration comes from the EU, they're trying to close that too. To be fair, the UK doesn't need such large numbers of non-EU migrants any more but they do need the Europeans, who often tend to do the skilled and unskilled jobs that the British are not trained in (e.g. skilled carpentry) or want to do (e.g. seasonal fruit picking). The thing is that Europeans have always been net contributors to society and British citizens enjoy the right to work in Europe- several million live, study and work there and may have to return to the UK because of Brexit.

erode

Jul 14, 2016
read this about same issue http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2a53e3fc-5f46-11e6-ae3f-77baadeb1c93.html?siteedition=uk

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
erode said:
but why none white cannot do unskilled jobs?for decades ,they were only people doing this
I did not say just unskilled- it's largely skilled trades e.g. in construction who make up the majority of permanent residents from the EU to the UK. Amongst the temporary workers- they come in big numbers for seasonal work such as fruit picking- it is hard work, minimum wage and seasonal. You cannot support a family on minimum wage seasonal work in the UK. These seasonal migrants come for a few months and see it as a working holiday or a way to make a fast buck over the summer. It also isn't a question of "whites" as you put it- indeed British Asians would be the last in line to do such work because of their backward cultural mindset. I know unemployed British Asians- very clever with degrees but without a job for whatever reason- recession, career break, etc and are not willing to touch a mop even if they end up on the road.

erode

Jul 14, 2016
johnjkjk said:
I did not say just unskilled- it's largely skilled trades e.g. in construction who make up the majority of permanent residents from the EU to the UK. Amongst the temporary workers- they come in big numbers for seasonal work such as fruit picking- it is hard work, minimum wage and seasonal. You cannot support a family on minimum wage seasonal work in the UK. These seasonal migrants come for a few months and see it as a working holiday or a way to make a fast buck over the summer. It also isn't a question of "whites" as you put it- indeed British Asians would be the last in line to do such work because of their backward cultural mindset. I know unemployed British Asians- very clever with degrees but without a job for whatever reason- recession, career break, etc and are not willing to touch a mop even if they end up on the road.
yes ,you are right.it could be the case for UK but since I have seen in canada ,maybe i have different idea about that.for Canada most of these temporary jobs are filled with none white ,many of them Asians,Latin etc.for temporary works ,workers have no need to have degrees.for jobs that are made for permanent residents or citizens ,they will tell you that degree has no value.but that is a trick.in fact ,for many of none white that is true.it is to make a mindset for people who look for job but then in media ,they tell you that these precarious jobs would never be filled by white who born in country.that is mostly for people (citizens or with PR) who were not born in the country.Canada lack massively in case of general labour .as you said,in other side of the case fruit picking (for permanent residents and Citizens, something like worm picker or mushroom harvester),many of these jobs are not easy to do and very low paid as well that can not afford a family .sometimes immigrants get loans and in the hope to earn back enough money to repay for degrees.but with same trick ,they find just the jobs that do not need any degrees.it means they just wasted their investment .for the other example to show how different are the countries,my friends immigrated to Denmark and Germany ,and after having a degree with knowing the language ,their employment was fast forward .although it might not be the case in southern EU but that happens for people born there as well

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
colasa17 said:
I have recently got the Permanent Residency for Canada . I already have a decent job in the UK and If I continue to work , I would be eligible for UK Permanent residency next year . I was looking to leave my job here and move to Canada this year for good.

But after reading all these comments , I am having cold feet . As they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" !
The economy in Canada is quite bad. IMHO, if you're well settled with a good job and career in a FIRST WORLD Country (such as the UK, Germany, Australia, France ...etc) it is utter foolishness to give up what you have, and come to a place like Canada (and I don't mean this in an offensive way to you at all, just my opinion). It only makes sense to give up a good job and move, if you're moving from a 3rd world country (such as India, China, Philippines .... etc.)

Otherwise, it is only if you're "forced", like me, to leave ultimately, due to having absolutely no choice, is it worthwhile. In my case, my US permanent residency is totally uncertain due to complications in my case. So I will have to ultimately leave the US in 2 and a half years, to meet Canada's PR requirement or lose it. For me this is the wise choice as there is the possibility I might end up with neither if I continue to pursue and fight my battles to get my US green card at the expense of the Canadian one, which I already have in hand (a bird in hand beats 2 in the bush).

If I had my US permanent residency, moving to Canada would not have even crossed my mind (even though my sister is a Canadian citizen and lives there).

Like you said, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
I know what you mean about making a choice.

I'm not sure if it's just this forum but the desire for some people to reach Canada is quite overwhelming for me. I have a feeling some of them will be very disappointed as many seem to be suffering from Dick Whittington syndrome (The streets are paved with Gold)

Myself and my family are taking a much more balanced view of things. We're currently based in Hong Kong and I have a good, relatively stable, well paid job, own our property and life is quite easy here.

I have my Canadian PR now but we're not going to move unless there's a job for me to go to which makes sense from a monetary point of view and lifestyle perspective, I have too much at stake for it to be a failure. I have no desire to move to Canada and work in a supermarket or something similar.

If my PR expires then so be it, it wasn't meant to be, but I'm not viewing a move to Canada as an answer to my problems.