+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a link between apartment requirement and # of children?

Lacrim

Dec 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,
My question may seem a bit strange, but anyway I have to ask ;-)

So, is there any official requlations in Toronto, Ontario, stating that if I have two children, then I should have (rent, buy) an apartment with 2 bedrooms minimum?

Once I have read somewhere that it is almost a law to follow, but cannot find anything to support this suggestion.

If anyone from Toronto can help me with this - I will be greatful

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I haven't heard about it, though it makes sense - kids need to have a separate room.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is probably some sort of fire code or health code that limits how many people can live in one apartment but I have never heard of any law stating that children must have separate rooms. When you look for apartments, ask the landlord. The lease is usually written out for how many people are living in the apartment.

Lacrim

Dec 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, friends. Now I see that it is landlord who can limit the amount of people living in the apartment. I have just been thinking that for the first time perhaps we could live in a 1 bedroom apartiment (bedroom for 2 boys and living room for me and wife). On the other hand, if the difference is about 100 CAD as I see at some ads, then it is no point of taking less, because the economy is not that much.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
There are bylaws and community or apartment rules that may restrict number of rooms with number of people. It varies case by case.

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
It used to be that if you had children under 2, they could share room if different sex.
Different sex children need their own room if over 2 yrs..if 4 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl, different rooms
I am a landlord back home, I would not rent to anyone if the children had to share a room.
So a 2 bedroom will very to how many kids, how old they are.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is this an actual rule or a personal opinion?

Cdnshaz said:
It used to be that if you had children under 2, they could share room if different *censored word*.
Different *censored word* children need their own room if over 2 yrs..if 4 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl, different rooms
I am a landlord back home, I would not rent to anyone if the children had to share a room.
So a 2 bedroom will very to how many kids, how old they are.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
actually it's quite common rule.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally I found it:

http://www2.stats.govt.nz/domino/external/web/prod_serv.nsf/0/5fc1e29f9dda2bc0cc256dd5006e47d3?OpenDocument#Discussion said:
The Canadian National Occupancy Standard (CNOS) has been developed by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) to help determine the number of bedrooms a dwelling should have to provide freedom from crowding. The CNOS is based on the number, age, s.e.x and interrelationships of household members and is the most complex of the crowding indices in the Housing Indicators series.1

The CNOS states that

* no more than two people shall share a bedroom
* parents or couples may share a bedroom
* children under 5 years, either of the same s.e.x or opposite s.e.x may share a bedroom
* children under 18 years of the same s.e.x may share a bedroom
* a child aged 5 to 17 years should not share a bedroom with a child under 5 of the opposite s.e.x
* single adults 18 years and over and any unpaired children require a separate bedroom
I think it's pretty strict. Basically it means that parents can not have a baby sleep in their bedroom and I know that a lot of people do.

I also don't see a problem with 3 children sharing a bedroom if it's a big one. I know my 2 older brothers shared a bedroom after at least one of them had turned 18 with no ill effects. I know families where one child sleeps in the living room or the parents sleep in the living room. It depends on how much money you have.

In my opinion, discuss it with your prospective landlord. If your landlord says ok, no problem. The police will not come to your house at random and tell you that you don't have enough room. If the police happened to be there for something else, that's another story.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
I think that there shouldn't be a problem if family of four will rent a 2-room apartment.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Finally I found it:

I think it's pretty strict. Basically it means that parents can not have a baby sleep in their bedroom and I know that a lot of people do.

I also don't see a problem with 3 children sharing a bedroom if it's a big one. I know my 2 older brothers shared a bedroom after at least one of them had turned 18 with no ill effects. I know families where one child sleeps in the living room or the parents sleep in the living room. It depends on how much money you have.

In my opinion, discuss it with your prospective landlord. If your landlord says ok, no problem. The police will not come to your house at random and tell you that you don't have enough room. If the police happened to be there for something else, that's another story.

These rules are quite harsh, my 2 kids like to sleep with me. They are 11 and 9 years old. 11 years old sleep on seperate bed in the same room and 9 years likes to sleep in between me and my wife.
We have 6 bedroom house. 3 on ground, 2 on first and 1 on 2nd floor. But children likes to sleep with us. We also enjoy their company and we assured that they are with us.
I think the Govt should not interfere too much in personal matters. This should be left for the decision of parents.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer101 said:
These rules are quite harsh, my 2 kids like to sleep with me. They are 11 and 9 years old. 11 years old sleep on seperate bed in the same room and 9 years likes to sleep in between me and my wife.
We have 6 bedroom house. 3 on ground, 2 on first and 1 on 2nd floor. But children likes to sleep with us. We also enjoy their company and we assured that they are with us.
I think the Govt should not interfere too much in personal matters. This should be left for the decision of parents.
I think most people in Canada would find it weird to have kids that old sleeping with you in your bedroom, let alone in your bed but actually, the rules don't say that they have to sleep in their bedrooms. It just says they have to have bedrooms.

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
Hi,

I am planing to land in Torotno on June 01st. We are total four mmber, my two kids are 3yr and 2 yr. I don't think that they can sleep without us. I am looking for 1 bed room apartment. Will it be any problem considering the rules and regulations. Can anybody advice me.

Thanks,

RPN

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RPN said:
Hi,

I am planing to land in Torotno on June 01st. We are total four mmber, my two kids are 3yr and 2 yr. I don't think that they can sleep without us. I am looking for 1 bed room apartment. Will it be any problem considering the rules and regulations. Can anybody advice me.

Thanks,

RPN
According to these rules, you should be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment where one of the bedrooms would be allocated to the kids. However, if a landlord is willing to rent you a 1 bedroom apartment and put on the lease that you are living there with a family of 4, then I don't see a problem. It's not like the authorities live in your house or anything.

Felix07Richerd

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know most states require that each child living in the home have his or her own bed. if there are children of both genders in the home, then there should be enough divided room "single rooms" to allow each boy a private room, each girl a private room, and the guardian to have a private room. 8)