+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a crime heat map of Canada?

Filics

Sep 17, 2023
Hi everybody,I want to find a crime heat map of Canada.Comparing each provinces' crime rate and each city.Is there any website can find it?Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I tried,there is no a whole country's crime heat map,it's just for some particular city.
What are you concerned about? It's a broad enough question that it's hard to narrow down an answer - geographically, I mean. There are lots of rankings. See this clickbait one for example:
https://www.nesto.ca/lifestyle/safest-cities-in-canada/

Short form is that - to my knowledge - none of the major cities are considered to have very high crime. There are a few cities like Thunder Bay that come up frequently as having issues. Stats on rural areas are harder to find (and not always good).

But this is overall in a country that doesn't have a whole lot of violent random street crime. LIsten to the news in any city and you'll get a different impression - because the nunmber is not zero.

"Situation" - what you do for a living, your social habits, whether you drink a lot, whatever other 'bad habits' associated with crime you may have - play a large role. Those aren't going to change a whole lot in terms of association with crime.

Right now the country is having a rash of car theft - esp in some places like large cities, but not only. For whatever reason, stealing cars for export to other countries has gone through the roof (my guess is demand + some serious issues at port of montreal).

But we can't tell if any of that matters because most people don't/can't choose a place just on basis of crime. Narrow it down for us somewhat, both in place and type of crime you're concerned about. As noted, Ottawa is usually considered quite safe.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general violent crime in Canada is targeted. I would avoid areas with public housing estates. As we have now learned instead of people leaning on each other and creating community in most community housing complexes with many building it became gang territory and grounds for rival gangs to fight.

Filics

Sep 17, 2023
What are you concerned about? It's a broad enough question that it's hard to narrow down an answer - geographically, I mean. There are lots of rankings. See this clickbait one for example:
https://www.nesto.ca/lifestyle/safest-cities-in-canada/

Short form is that - to my knowledge - none of the major cities are considered to have very high crime. There are a few cities like Thunder Bay that come up frequently as having issues. Stats on rural areas are harder to find (and not always good).

But this is overall in a country that doesn't have a whole lot of violent random street crime. LIsten to the news in any city and you'll get a different impression - because the nunmber is not zero.

"Situation" - what you do for a living, your social habits, whether you drink a lot, whatever other 'bad habits' associated with crime you may have - play a large role. Those aren't going to change a whole lot in terms of association with crime.

Right now the country is having a rash of car theft - esp in some places like large cities, but not only. For whatever reason, stealing cars for export to other countries has gone through the roof (my guess is demand + some serious issues at port of montreal).

But we can't tell if any of that matters because most people don't/can't choose a place just on basis of crime. Narrow it down for us somewhat, both in place and type of crime you're concerned about. As noted, Ottawa is usually considered quite safe.
Thank you, that's very detailed, and solved some of my worries.