+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it so difficult for a new immigrant family to get a rental unit(condo)?

BMWXC60

Aug 18, 2009
Hi,

We,husband and wife, did our landing in 2009, and are planning to come for good in 30 days from now.V will be in Toronto/Mississauga, still weighing out our options,BUT , i have been in touch with some real estate brokers through mails and been given stories which make me ask the same question as the subject topic.

For Eg :- If you don't have a job then landlord looks for atleast 4-6 months of rent in advance.....just for info, we do have a credit line ready as we were using our Scotia cards in the country we work ,so thats not a problem.
Rents have gone up as this the peak season (August) and a lot of people from the Middle East are coming into to Canada.
Furnished basements are rare (have been browsing on kiiji and craiglist regularly) and have been seeing atleast 1 out of 4 ads as furnished basements (mostly 1br)
Ofcourse most of the brokers you speak to try to educate you to BUY instead of RENTING but having seen the reports of OVERHEATING of the condo sector and having no job at present, isnt it a "careless decision" right now.....specially when we dont know anything abt the city?I am not being sinical , but what if we get a job in Mississauga and end up buying a unit(thanks to the brokers) in downtown toronto.Is it worth????
One of the brokers has said that the landlord will need first n last months rent , thats it.

I wonder what is their commission when a customer like me "rents" from them or "buys" a condo from them?

Guys, need your feedback....anything ,everything....Cheers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then don't look through a broker, get a motel when you arrive and look for an apartment yourself. I had luck finding an apartment when I arrived with a guy who was only managing one building. He interviewed me, decided I was ok and gave me the unit. No broker.

By the way, it is illegal in Ontario to ask for more than 2 months rent up front, first and last. Many landlords however (and brokers maybe too) abuse the fact that newly landed immigrants may be ignorant of the law, desperate to find a place and will often bring a large amount of savings with them.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's illegal in BC but for high-end furnished condos, one landlord asked me to pay 4 months rent for his security deposit. If you have pet, you would also require to pay a pet deposit. In the end, I got a lower-end furnished suite and paid only first and last month rent as security deposit.

Like others had suggested, book a motel or room in safehomestay.com first and then go house hunting.

You can also consider takeover the lease of this poster for his apartment in Scarborough/Toronto:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-to-transfer-apartment-lease-in-toronto-t75223.0.html

BMWXC60

Aug 18, 2009
@Leon: What an advice.We have actually started to look out from here( v r not in Canada yet) ..... i mean by checking craiglist and kiiji .... it would be more fruitfull once v r physically there.Thanks.
@Steaky : Many thanks for that post,that gentleman is leaving by the mid of July and we will be there only by the mid of August,my bad.But that effort by you is highly appreciated.

If any one is kind enough to let me know of a furnished basement(Studio/1br) or a 1BR condo near Square one in Mississauga....we would be there by the mid of Aug.

Thanks all of you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although it is possible, I think it is difficult to find a suitable suite to rent in the middle of the month (especially if you cannot view on-site before rent). In the past, I had to waste a week and secured my rented suite which the tenancy begins on the first day of the month. Good luck for your house hunting!