+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it required to mention work experience in Express Entry which I have filled during student visa

Piyush5767

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
I have included my freelancer experience while I have applied for student visa whereas, now I have to apply for PR through the express entry and I didn’t want to include that freelancer experience. I want to include only Canadian experience, did CIC question me? why I am not including the experience which I have included while I applied for a student visa.

The reason for not including is I am unable to get a reference letter from all of my clients, so don't want to claim points for this experience but I think I have to mention it somewhere because I have previously used that to fill my gap from 2014 - 2016.

Also, If I have to mention then where? in personal history or any other place?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, you don't' need to mention it in Employment History since you aren't claiming any points for it.

However, you have to mention it in Personal History.

Piyush5767

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
No, you don't' need to mention it in Employment History since you aren't claiming any points for it.

However, you have to mention it in Personal History.
Thanks for your quick replay whereas, do I have to write a letter regarding this, to mention that previously I have included this experience while I applied for student visa whereas now as unable to get reference letter I am not claiming points for this experience.

Also, to show Canadian experience what documents I needed, do I have to attach salary slips, T4 etc?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for your quick replay whereas, do I have to write a letter regarding this, to mention that previously I have included this experience while I applied for student visa whereas now as unable to get reference letter I am not claiming points for this experience.

Also, to show Canadian experience what documents I needed, do I have to attach salary slips, T4 etc?

1. You can explain if you like, though I really wouldn't since there's no need. Why invite questions, you aren't claiming points so it doesnt' matter what you claimed on your study visa. You need to be eligible based on the things you are claiming points for.

To show Canadian experience, read this -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

As provided for in the CEC Document Checklist, principal applicants are requested to provide documentary evidence of their work experience in Canada through a combination of: a copy of their most recent work permit (unless they are work-permit exempt), copies of their most recent T4 tax information slips and Notice of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or a sufficient combination of other supporting documentation, and employer letters of reference for all periods of qualifying work experience claimed in the application.