+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is It Possible to Reschedule Oath Ceremony?

coolkitt

Dec 20, 2013
I have taken my Citizenship exam on Feb 7th, and informed the officer during my interview, that I would be traveling abroad for a few months. The officer was actually kind enough to offer delaying the oath by 6 months, and she also wrote on my file "schedule oath in Aug".

Now the notice still came, oath is Mar 24, and I'm a world away. Called CIC about rescheduling, they said I have to write them a letter then they'll decide if the reason is valid, if they aren't satisfied with my reason, they'll simply close my file. I also tried to explain that my oath is supposed to be in Aug. But the reply I got was that as long as a date has been scheduled for me, a letter is all I can do.

my question is, has anyone here successfully rescheduled their oath ceremony?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I know it doesn't fit with your plans, but it may be in your beat interest to look at the big picture before making a decision. A flight back to Canada vs possible paperwork and delays. You know what it took to get to this stage .....

armaan.ahhmad

Star Member
Feb 3, 2014
I agree with Pippin. Its just a one time thing so take oath and get it over with.

Pippin said:
I know it doesn't fit with your plans, but it may be in your beat interest to look at the big picture before making a decision. A flight back to Canada vs possible paperwork and delays. You know what it took to get to this stage .....

samjohns22

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
your story is like a movie. can you imagine that everyone's dream is to have the ceremony as early as possible, you are travelling around the world for few months , and now asking for solution. good luck.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolkitt said:
I have taken my Citizenship exam on Feb 7th, and informed the officer during my interview, that I would be traveling abroad for a few months. The officer was actually kind enough to offer delaying the oath by 6 months, and she also wrote on my file "schedule oath in Aug".

Now the notice still came, oath is Mar 24, and I'm a world away. Called CIC about rescheduling, they said I have to write them a letter then they'll decide if the reason is valid, if they aren't satisfied with my reason, they'll simply close my file. I also tried to explain that my oath is supposed to be in Aug. But the reply I got was that as long as a date has been scheduled for me, a letter is all I can do.

sounds like your office is in Vancouver.
Just buy a ticket and come back. You have more than a week to do so. If you dont show up for oath, you may have to re-apply for it. Or you may have to wait a long time to get another oath.

yafayu

May 8, 2011
Would you mind share your reason why you went away to another country. If your reason can't even convinced us on forum then don't bother send a letter to cic to explain yourself...

coolkitt said:

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolkitt said:

Have you even read the oath invite??? It clearly states that if you don't show up they do one of 2 things - ask you to RE-APPLY FROM SCRATCH or Write with good reason to the judge why you can't make it!!! ALL THIS WAIT AND TONS OF PPL YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS - come on!

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
coolkitt said:

It is possible but Do not reschedule your Oath! not everybody can have the same timeline. You should consider yourself very lucky that you got it so soon. You might have to wait too long after rescheduling. I had my exam in January, went to Canada for my test and was told my Oath is in two months. I went back home and the next day i got an Invite to my Oath. I went back to Canada immediately after three days of notice (it was updated online first for me). I was exhausted from flying back and forth and was also expansive but it all worth it! no regrets!

Good luck!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are a number of variables and also some unclear policies that your case is running into. So, if you really need to reschedule, you can try, but there are risks as others have noted. While the CIC officially allows applicants to reschedule tests, appointments and citizenship hearings if the applicant contacts them before the event (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=787&t=5), there seems to be an unofficial policy that views rescheduling anything, but especially an Oath, as deeply inappropriate and a demand for further scrutiny. Also, there is OB 476B http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob476B.asp, which seems to apply to applicants who are "no shows" at CIC events, but might be applied to those who try to reschedule.

Since you did alert CIC beforehand at the test (though you would be in a stronger position if you had also called the Call Centre to tell them you'd be gone from date X to date X), I doubt that the CIC would fight too hard to close your application if you look like you'll put up a big fight about it by focusing on their (possibly deliberate) administrative error. I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's pretty unlikely that the CIC would win if you appealed a denial/case closing based on you being a "no show" during a notified absence. And if they think they're going to lose, they're less likely to fight it.

So the questions are: How much fight are you willing to put into this? Can you afford to fly back on short notice or could you afford to hire a lawyer to draft your letter to CIC? Do you have a healthy tolerance for risk? And finally, do you have strong ties to Canada, proof of those ties and a strong citizenship application (because the CIC might issue an RQ in response to your reschedule request)?

If you can't make it back, I highly highly recommend that you get a lawyer to send the letter to the CIC regarding rescheduling and you need to pin the blame on the CIC for scheduling an event during a notified absence.

So, you will need to order your physical files ASAP to see if you can find a copy of the note the citizenship officer made regarding your upcoming absence from Canada. And it wouldn't hurt to see if you can get a letter of support from your MP.

As a reminder, as long as you meet the PR and citizenship residency requirements, there is nothing wrong with traveling.

Good luck.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
If it were me, I won't miss the oath for the world, and do what others suggest, that is, fly back pronto. But you do have a valid reason and it was CIC who messed it up in the first place, but you'll have to fight that one out with them and it could get messier. It's in your hands now how you will decide this. Good luck.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think its all about money here.
YOu need to consider the money you invest in this scenario and the difficulty you will face in the future.
Lets say total ticket of flying back and forth is $4000. Question yourself....do you care about money more than canadian citizenship.
For me, i would absolutely give up more money to come back than to give up or delay citizenship.

coolkitt

Dec 20, 2013
Thank you all for the replies! All are appreciated!!

I agree with samjohns22, my immigration road is full of drama, almost like a reality show now. :p

to nguyentu2001, you are correct, my office is in Vancouver.

Re bangloboy, I did read the invite carefully, the 2 options they brought up did seem very restricted. Though under the media release form, it says "if you cannot attend this event... you must call.... Alternate arrangements will be made for you" Maybe there's some slim chance here?

Re yafayu, this travel is something I have in mind for years, originally planned after the Citizenship is completed. However I got RQed, and it could take forever, so I decided not to put a hold on life any more. It just so happens that CIC processed my files faster than I expected - I'm lucky in that sense. I did change my travel plans once and flew in for the exam. I'm taking CIC very seriously. If not the immigration officer's writing of the hold on my files, I wouldn't have gone away.

After all considerations, I decide to write a letter explaining my situation, emphasizing that CIC was notified about my travel. (unfortunately I didn't notify the call centre, instead I told the officer who was reviewing my file in person, thought that was more effective. And she wrote on my file which they keep, so I don't have a copy of her writing - my bad again, didn't expect it could get this messy) I hope this time, the processing officer is more reasonable than call center, as it has been for the past. I will see what happens.

Thank you all again for the advices! Merci Beaucoup!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolkitt said:
(unfortunately I didn't notify the call centre, instead I told the officer who was reviewing my file in person, thought that was more effective.
This is understandable.
coolkitt said:
And she wrote on my file which they keep, so I don't have a copy of her writing - my bad again, didn't expect it could get this messy)
It's understandable again, (my personal distrust of CIC has been hardwon). You can make a Privacy Act request http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp to get a copy of your physical files. It's free, you can do it online. They will email it to you in 30 days or so. I know that it will probably come after your scheduled oath, but order it anyway, on the off chance that they do not redact the officer's notes.

It could be helpful if the CIC denies your rescheduling request.

coolkitt

Dec 20, 2013
eileenf said:
This is understandable.It's understandable again, (my personal distrust of CIC has been hardwon). You can make a Privacy Act request http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp to get a copy of your physical files. It's free, you can do it online. They will email it to you in 30 days or so. I know that it will probably come after your scheduled oath, but order it anyway, on the off chance that they do not redact the officer's notes.

It could be helpful if the CIC denies your rescheduling request.
I didn't even know about this request, I'll do it now, can't be naive again.

Thank you very much eileenf! always amazed how knowledgeable you are :)

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolkitt said:
I didn't even know about this request, I'll do it now, can't be naive again.

Thank you very much eileenf! always amazed how knowledgeable you are :)
Good luck and thanks. The more I think about this, the more I think that it probably won't be a problem for you if you make clear that the error is theirs and that you won't quietly slink away in the event of a denial. Assuming that you don't have other pending issues (like precarious PR status due to too much time outside of Canada or criminal issues, etc).
It won't be the path of least resistance, but the CIC is not going to go all out to deny you citizenship for their (probably deliberate) error. It's doubtful that they could win in court. And it's doubtful that they would look that great if you went to the press and to your MP with the issue.
Good luck. Contact your MP. If you have a family member or close friend who is a citizen in your riding, have them contact as well.