+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to fill out a B4 form after landing?

mimicapes

May 6, 2015
We received our COPR while visiting in Canada and were so excited that we almost immediately "went around the flagpole". We did not have a list of goods to follow since we never intended to bring any large items, such as furniture, appliances, cars, etc. We are now back in our home country closing out all our affairs in preparation for settling in our new Canadian home in April. As we sift through all the accumulated years of "stuff", we are still determined to bring only items close to our hearts such as, books, photo albums, family videos, small souvenirs from our travels, etc. Since we are both in our 70's, this is turning out to be more than we imagined. Will we have problems bringing these things i since we never completed a B4 form ? And is it too late to fill one out now? Please help.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mimicapes said:
We received our COPR while visiting in Canada and were so excited that we almost immediately "went around the flagpole". We did not have a list of goods to follow since we never intended to bring any large items, such as furniture, appliances, cars, etc. We are now back in our home country closing out all our affairs in preparation for settling in our new Canadian home in April. As we sift through all the accumulated years of "stuff", we are still determined to bring only items close to our hearts such as, books, photo albums, family videos, small souvenirs from our travels, etc. Since we are both in our 70's, this is turning out to be more than we imagined. Will we have problems bringing these things i since we never completed a B4 form ? And is it too late to fill one out now? Please help.
You can complete a B4 even now, as it is related to the date of "Settlement" not the date of "Landing". However, you should be aware that CBSA quite often don't know their own rules and may give you a hard time if you don't submit a B4 within a reasonable period of actually becoming a PR. (I know this because it happened to me). We worked round the problem without starting an argument with the processing CBSA officer but it is possible that you might have to involve a senior CBSA officer if you have significant problems with them accepting the B4. It all hinges on your date of "Settlement". Read the exemption class details on the B4 very carefully.