+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada a big govt marketing or not ?

astro313

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ,
I am not sure if the question fits the topic. Until today I was ready to send my diplomas to WES and to take IELTS in January. Unfortunately I came across this post in a website: canadianimmigrant _dot_ ca/community/why-some-immigrants-want-to-leave-canada . In the beginning I thought there are just some unqualified immigrants who did not find jobs, but really ? There are like 100 comments there and only 2 or 3 neutral , none of the comments were positive.

Is Canada really a big scam ? Are there really so few jobs that people wish they didn't never go to Canada ? Are Canadians really so racist ?
Do people with Doctorate and Masters drive cabs ?

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
astro313 said:
Is Canada really a big scam ? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it. Canadian government wants more population so they want immigrants. Earlier, the numbers were connected to economic growth. But now, irrespective of economy about 2.65 lakhs are given PR. So obviously job situation is bad. Are there really so few jobs that people wish they didn't never go to Canada ? This is very true. It is a small economy and in terrible state now. Even natively born citizens are struggling to get jobs. Are Canadians really so racist ? I don't think everyone is. People are generally the same in every country. Canada, being so diverse, and amongst the well educated, the racism will be subtle. Amongst the poor and uneducated, there could be more visible racism.
Yes, of course. CIC even has a study and published results that say the number of Phds and masters driving cabs. Its there in my thread linked below
From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/research-stats/taxi.pdf
4% of all Canadian born taxi drivers have Bachelors degrees, while 14% of immigrant taxi drivers have.
Only 0.4% of Canadian born drivers have masters degrees, while 5.4% of immigrant drivers have.
Of the 255 Phds and MDs who drive taxis, 55 of them are Canadian born while 200 are immigrants.

My thread on this topic:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/immigrants-even-native-canadians-struggle-to-find-work-in-canada-t393599.0.html

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
astro313 said:
Is Canada really a big scam ? Are there really so few jobs that people wish they didn't never go to Canada ? Are Canadians really so racist ?
The job market is tough for everyone...new immigrants, Canadian new grads, and Canadian experienced professionals. There are usually large numbers of qualified applicants for each vacant position, so you need to compete with all of them. Canadians (as well as immigrants who have been here for a while) rely on their professional network in getting referred for positions, this advantage is usually not available for newcomers...which leads them to think they have been bypassed due to racism, heavy accent, lack of Canadian experience...etc.

In my opinion those who are driving cabs have chosen to...yes, a newcomer might need to do an odd job for a while - (lets say while preparing for a professional license, upgrading education, or looking for a proper job...etc) ...but for someone was living here say for 6+ years and is still driving a taxi then thats definitely his choice...in my views - worst case scenario would be - to even start fresh with a new bachelor degree (in an on demand field) and start at entry level position...even that can be done in less than 6 years.

Some might say...well we didn't have money to support "upgrading education" so we had to take an odd job to make ends meet and then we got stuck in the never ending loop - so is that something you would blame the government for? Who's responsibility is it to secure appropriate funds for this life changing journey (and by that - i'm not referring to the amount stated on cic website...that would hardly be enough to survive more than 5-6 months)

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
emamabd said:
The job market is tough for everyone...new immigrants, Canadian new grads, and Canadian experienced professionals. There are usually large numbers of qualified applicants for each vacant position, so you need to compete with all of them. Canadians (as well as immigrants who have been here for a while) rely on their professional network in getting referred for positions, this advantage is usually not available for newcomers...which leads them to think they have been bypassed due to racism, heavy accent, lack of Canadian experience...etc.

In my opinion those who are driving cabs have chosen to...yes, a newcomer might need to do an odd job for a while - (lets say while preparing for a professional license, upgrading education, or looking for a proper job...etc) ...but for someone was living here say for 6+ years and is still driving a taxi then thats definitely his choice...in my views - worst case scenario would be - to even start fresh with a new bachelor degree (in an on demand field) and start at entry level position...even that can be done in less than 6 years.

Some might say...well we didn't have money to support "upgrading education" so we had to take an odd job to make ends meet and then we got stuck in the never ending loop - so is that something you would blame the government for? Who's responsibility is it to secure appropriate funds for this life changing journey (and by that - i'm not referring to the amount stated on cic website...that would hardly be enough to survive more than 5-6 months)

+1, well said

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:

One more fact I'd like to add about PhD holders driving cabs is that they probably wouldn't be gainfully employed in their home countries either. More often than not, they usually have degrees from a really lower-ranked university in their own country. Most of Asia has a very large number of bad universities and a smaller subset of good universities that are much harder to get into.

Researchers, especially in STEM fields, need no money for further education, to get another research position. Almost all research-based Masters and PhD positions in STEM are covered by NSERC that all PRs have access to. The excuse of not having money for further education after having an advanced research-based degree is usually a cop-out. It's quite competitive but not impossible to continue research.

I had a conversation with a relative, an immigrant discussing similar stories of other people. She agreed as well that most of the other immigrants she knows of, rarely struggle for more than 2-3 years. If they did more, there were some other issues underlying.

astro313

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

Since I was the skeptical one and started this thread some time ago (OMG :eek:, now that I see it's been almost 2 years), I am doing an update.

Me and my common-law partner landed on 18-June-2016 in Toronto, we did 4 days of vacation over there and came in Ottawa on the 22th of June. I had initiated my job hunt long before the landing (about 2 months before landing) and my partner didn't bother too much and started her job hunting only 12-15 days after our landing day.

Background: We are both with Masters degrees in Computer Science from a non Canadian University (from Albania) and had 4-6 years of experience each, both of us 27 years old.

Good News: Both of us got excellent jobs within a month, in the IT sector working for some nice companies with above average salaries. Neither me, nor my fiancee expected to be paid so well since the first months of our first jobs.

Conclusion: We didn't have any contacts or references here in Canada. This is a great place, with great opportunities and exceptional kind and helpful people. I was expecting to suffer a little bit in the beginning but our process went really smooth.

I'm thinking of opening a new thread so people can ask questions and I can try to reply as many as possible.
Good Luck to everyone!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
astro313 said:
Hi everyone,

Since I was the skeptical one and started this thread some time ago (OMG :eek:, now that I see it's been almost 2 years), I am doing an update.

Me and my common-law partner landed on 18-June-2016 in Toronto, we did 4 days of vacation over there and came in Ottawa on the 22th of June. I had initiated my job hunt long before the landing (about 2 months before landing) and my partner didn't bother too much and started her job hunting only 12-15 days after our landing day.

Background: We are both with Masters degrees in Computer Science from a non Canadian University (from Albania) and had 4-6 years of experience each, both of us 27 years old.

Good News: Both of us got excellent jobs within a month, in the IT sector working for some nice companies with above average salaries. Neither me, nor my fiancee expected to be paid so well since the first months of our first jobs.

Conclusion: We didn't have any contacts or references here in Canada. This is a great place, with great opportunities and exceptional kind and helpful people. I was expecting to suffer a little bit in the beginning but our process went really smooth.

I'm thinking of opening a new thread so people can ask questions and I can try to reply as many as possible.
Good Luck to everyone!
Good news and congrats! Is your IT job more of a "hands on"? (i.e. developer/system administrator/DBA...etc)? That's my guess as those are usually easier to grab (than IT management related roles) for those who have the relevant experience and certifications.

Ottawa is a nice place to live from what i hear, living expenses aren't as wild as Toronto.

astro313

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, my work is hands on.
I was in Toronto the first 5 days after my landing. Both me and my fiancee really liked it. But Ottawa is nicer. A lof of trees and parks, the air is fresher and the people are not rushing like they do in Toronto. Toronto has better job opportunities, but that does not mean that Ottawa falls behind. As I see it, because of the government jobs Ottawa is a more stable city and the prices are also reasonable.
No middle class men or women can afford to buy a house there, condos are very pricey too.