+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Passport

PreachIt

Sep 7, 2020
As a PR holder and a refugee, I ignorantly renewed my passport from my embassy without knowing it could be a serious issue.

since I don’t intend to travel on it, will the immigration Canada know about it that I applied to renew it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a PR holder and a refugee, I ignorantly renewed my passport from my embassy without knowing it could be a serious issue.

since I don’t intend to travel on it, will the immigration Canada know about it that I applied to renew it?
Yes they can find out. If you don’t use it then based on other cases of reavailment you shouldn’t have an issue. Would seek advice from a lawyer but being upfront about your error during your citizenship application and explaining that you did not use the passport and unfortunately only learned about reavailment after applying for a new passport may be the best way to address the issue. Canada tends to like it when people are upfront about their errors and apologize. Those who are usually charged with reavailment usually travel using their home country passport, return to their home country, etc. Have not seen a case where people have been pursued for getting a home country passport that they never used. Would not suggest that protected people apply for a home country passport. Not applying for a home country passport and not returning to your home country are the best option.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured