+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internal transfer to sister company w/ same position & duties - Reference letter confusion

tokyo_123

Nov 28, 2018
Hello all,

I was employed at Company A from 1st June 2013-31st August 2014.
I was then transferred from company A to company B on 1st Sept 2014 (which was a newly formed company as Company A, a non-profit, wanted to remove the for-profit part of its operations into a different company). I worked at company B from Sept 1- March 15.
My role, project and duties remained the same while at both companies and my time with them was also continuous (no gap at all as my last day with company A was 31st Aug and first day with company B was 1st Sept). (Am I correct about the job being continuous?)

I asked if I can just get one letter of reference but they said that since both companies are different entities they can only give me different letters. While that is fine, my salary certificate will be made on company A's letterhead as, at that time, since company B was still new, all financial dealings were still done by company A. Hence the salary certificate on company A's letterhead will have dates of my total employment period at both companies from June 2013-March 2015, even though the reference letter for company A will only have my dates of employment from June 2013-Aug 2014.
The only reason I am concerned about the salary certificate is that company A might not agree to state the annual salary on the reference letter, hence I will have to provide the salary certificate as proof of payment.

I have two options:
1) I just upload company A letter, as the work experience with company A is greater than 1 year (June 2013-August 2014) and that will give me points for 1 year.
a) However, with this I run the chance of having to explain why the salary certificate is showing more months of employment after August 2014, if I have to upload it

2) I upload both company A and company B letters, and have company A state that I was transferred to company B with the same position, roles and duties and that all financial dealings were still handled by company A even after the transfer to company B.
a) I wanted to avoid this option as the time period I spent at company B from Sept 1-March 2015, which is less than a year, doesn't really significantly add any points to my profile as my total experience is still 1 year and 9 months (and just with company A it would be 1 year and little less than 2 months, giving me the same amount of points). By adding it only adds an element of further explanation that my entire job was continuous and that it was the same position and duties at both company A and B.
b) Since my job duties were the same at both company A and B, I was not sure how similar or different the letter of reference should look. I feel if they are the exact same (which they technically should be as the duties are the same) the officer might think that it is strange for two company HR personnel using the same language.

So each option has it pros and cons and I am not sure what to decide. Any help would be appreciated.

tokyo_123

Nov 28, 2018
Hi. I went with option 2. Uploaded two letters. One from company A and another from company B, with the exact same duties. Company A stated that I was transferred to company B on so and so date which was a sister company and that I performed the same duties. Since company A handled the finances even while I was at the sister company, I uploaded the financial certificate I got from company A for both company A and company B. I also explained this scenario in very short in a letter of explanation. I added both positions as different experiences in my work history section since legally these were two different companies. However since there was not even a days gap between the two, both were accepted as 'continious work experience'. Transparency is key so there was no issue with my PR.

Reactions: tobs and Kriff