+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Driving License

Prince2541

Jun 4, 2023
Hello

Can a person on Open Work Permit get a driving license in Alberta?

Can I drive a car with my Indian Driving License in Alberta?

How does my Indian Driving License help in getting a driving license of Alberta?

Thanks

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello

Can a person on Open Work Permit get a driving license in Alberta?

Can I drive a car with my Indian Driving License in Alberta?

How does my Indian Driving License help in getting a driving license of Alberta?

Thanks
Did you try to Google the answers?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Anyone here who could help me with this ?
10 seconds of Google!

For permanent residents who have recently moved to Alberta, the rules are relatively straightforward. According to the Alberta government, a newcomer to the province must exchange their driver's licence within 90 days of becoming an Alberta resident. This means, if you’ve established permanent residency in Alberta, you need to obtain an Alberta driver's licence within three months of your arrival. If you don’t, you could face penalties or fines.

Exchange a licence with a jurisdiction that does not have a reciprocal licence exchange agreement
To exchange a licence from a jurisdiction that does not have an agreement, you will need to pass a knowledge test, surrender a valid driver’s licence and pass a road test.

To exchange your licence for an Alberta driver’s licence you must:

• attend a registry office and take a Class 7 knowledge test
  • surrender all valid and expired licences in your possession
    • The Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation of the Traffic Safety Act requires that people surrender any and all out-of-Alberta issued licences prior to being issued an Alberta licence.
  • provide proof of residence in Alberta
  • provide proof of legal status in Canada
Upon successful completion of the knowledge test, you will be issued a Class 7 licence. The registry agent will check to see if you can apply for the GDL Exemption Program and will give you an application to complete. Your licence, application for GDL exemption and support documents will be sent to the Service Alberta Special Investigations Unit (SIU) for review.

While the SIU is reviewing your file, you will be able to drive with a Class 7 licence under the supervision of a driver who is 18 years of age and holds a full Class 5 (or higher class) driver’s licence.

Visit a registry office after 10 business days from the date you applied. The registry agent will confirm if your application has been accepted, and if eligible, book a road test to obtain a Class 5 licence. If you are not eligible for the GDL exemption program, you must continue to meet the requirements of the Class 7 licence until you are eligible to get a Class 5 licence. More information about the Class 7 licence is available at Get a Class 7 learner's licence.

If you are eligible to get a Class 5 Alberta driver’s licence
  • You must complete a Class 5 road test. After you pass the test, you can apply for a Class 5 licence.
  • If the driver’s licence(s) you surrendered can prove you have 2 years of driving experience or more, you will be issued a full Class 5 licence.
  • If you have fewer than 24 months driving experience, you will be issued a Class 5 GDL licence. You can reduce your probation period by up to 6 months by completing an approved driver training course, providing you meet all other eligibility requirements. For more information on when you will be eligible to exit the GDL program, visit Changes to driver licensing system.

Prince2541

Jun 4, 2023
1. My question was related to a person holding Open Work Permit and not Permanent Resident.
2. Surrendering Indian License to Alberta? So when you return back to India beforeTRV expires, which license would one have to drive a vehicle.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
1. My question was related to a person holding Open Work Permit and not Permanent Resident.
2. Surrendering Indian License to Alberta? So when you return back to India beforeTRV expires, which license would one have to drive a vehicle.
1.)What do I need to drive in Canada as a foreigner?
For a short time, new Canadian permanent residents (PRs), international students and work permit holders can all drive a car in their province/territory of residence using an international driver’s license. The following list outlines how long international driver’s licenses are valid in each province/territory.

Although international driver’s licenses are valid for some time after arriving in Canada, it is strongly recommended that all international driver’s license holders also carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) from their home country during this time.

Note: IDPs allow holders to drive in another country without having to take tests or submit other applications by providing the driver with a written translation of their international license into French and English.

2.) Get a new one from India, simple