+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India Police cert - local or psk?

emsea405

Star Member
Nov 4, 2015
We are Indian citizens residing in India - Karnataka and per the CIC website we need to get the police certificate from local police station: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/india.asp

But I see plenty of people on this forum visit a PSK to get it done. Can someone please clarify if and why we should visit PSK?

vc2ca

Star Member
Oct 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
25-06-2016
emsea405 said:
We are Indian citizens residing in India - Karnataka and per the CIC website we need to get the police certificate from local police station: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/india.asp

But I see plenty of people on this forum visit a PSK to get it done. Can someone please clarify if and why we should visit PSK?
As mentioned on CIC website get it from the Police Station alternatively the PCC from regional PCC is also acceptable

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
vc2ca said:
As mentioned on CIC website get it from the Police Station alternatively the PCC from regional PCC is also acceptable
Are both of these equivalent, or does the state PCC cover only a police clearance for that particular state vs the entire country? E.g. if someone lives in a particular state, but has travelled to different states for business etc, does the state PCC cover them?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
emsea405 said:

Even though it has been mentioned that you can apply for PCC from local police station, the PCCs issued from these places specifically covers the clearance for the applicant's stay in that city only. In India, if the applicant has stayed at the same address or in the same city for their entire duration in India, then the applicant can go ahead with the PCC issued from local local police station.

On the other hand, if the applicant has stayed in different cities in India, then the best would be to get PCC from PSK. PCC issued by PSK is applicable for the applicant's entire stay in India as it does not mention any address of the applicant.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Stanlee said:
Even though it has been mentioned that you can apply for PCC from local police station, the PCCs issued from these places specifically covers the clearance for the applicant's stay in that city only. In India, if the applicant has stayed at the same address or in the same city for their entire duration in India, then the applicant can go ahead with the PCC issued from local local police station.

On the other hand, if the applicant has stayed in different cities in India, then the best would be to get PCC from PSK. PCC issued by PSK is applicable for the applicant's entire stay in India as it does not mention any address of the applicant.
What if someone has resided in only one city at a single address, but has travelled to other cities for business etc? Is the local police PCC invalid in this case? To my knowledge, PSK will only check records relating to the address mentioned in the passport.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
johnjkjk said:
What if someone has resided in only one city at a single address, but has travelled to other cities for business etc? Is the local police PCC invalid in this case? To my knowledge, PSK will only check records relating to the address mentioned in the passport.
What matters for police clearance is your address. If in your case, since you turned 18 if you have lived at the same address in the same city, you can get your police certificate from your local police.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Stanlee said:
What matters for police clearance is your address. If in your case, since you turned 18 if you have lived at the same address in the same city, you can get your police certificate from your local police.
So PSK PCC involves a nation-wide federal police check, whilst a local police check only relates to that city/state?

What about travel (business/tourism), if CIC came to know about this (from personal history)?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
johnjkjk said:
So PSK PCC involves a nation-wide federal police check, whilst a local police check only relates to that city/state?

What about travel (business/tourism), if CIC came to know about this (from personal history)?
1. Local police certificate gives you clearance only for their jurisdiction. PSK is national.

2. If you have traveled, lived or worked in country for 6 months or more at a stretch or cumulatively, you will need to provide PCC for the same.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Stanlee said:
1. Local police certificate gives you clearance only for their jurisdiction. PSK is national.

2. If you have traveled, lived or worked in country for 6 months or more at a stretch or cumulatively, you will need to provide PCC for the same.
I mean brief travel to different states within India (tourism etc). Would a local police certificate be invalid? Does a PSK PCC involve a federal check (i.e. of all states)?

JW8

Nov 3, 2016
Brief travel shouldn't matter.

By the way, I got PCC for me and my spouse in 30 mins today from Bangalore PSK.

Key is adhaar card, even if passport address is something else, if your current address is updated in Adhaar card there wont be any issues.

Cheers
JW8

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
johnjkjk said:
I mean brief travel to different states within India (tourism etc). Would a local police certificate be invalid? Does a PSK PCC involve a federal check (i.e. of all states)?
Travel to other Indian states does not matter and is not a factor for consideration while issuing PCC from India. What is important for PCC is your address. So if you have stayed at multiple addresses since you turned 18 and these addressed falls under the jurisdiction of different police stations, then get PCC from PSK, otherwise PCC from local police is fine.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
JW8 said:
Brief travel shouldn't matter.

By the way, I got PCC for me and my spouse in 30 mins today from Bangalore PSK.

Key is adhaar card, even if passport address is something else, if your current address is updated in Adhaar card there wont be any issues.

Cheers
JW8
Correct, even if your passport address does not match your current address, it is fine as long as you have acceptable address proofs for the current address at which you reside.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Stanlee said:
Travel to other Indian states does not matter and is not a factor for consideration while issuing PCC from India. What is important for PCC is your address. So if you have stayed at multiple addresses since you turned 18 and these addressed falls under the jurisdiction of different police stations, then get PCC from PSK, otherwise PCC from local police is fine.
Thanks, this is a relief. By the way what would a non Indian national living in India have to do for multiple state addresses as they cannot get a PCC from PSK? Presumably they would have to follow up with police in every state lived in, with appropriate proof, or leave the country and approach the Indian consulate in their own country?