+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income Tax filling problem

Discussion in 'Canadian Finance and Taxation' started by sanna, Mar 5, 2013.

  1. Hi
    I need to file my 2012 tax but I have problem finishing it because it ask questions about my wife she live abroad and we married in 2010. So when I change my statues to married then I have to give all income details of my wife. She never been in Canada now I have started her sponsorship application not submit yet but very soon I will. If someone could advice me. She has no employment income there. As far as I know who want file tax they should have social insurance number.

  2. I think she can get a temporary tax number from CRA and this number will be use as the social insurance number for this purpose.
  3. Just a note - to claim the spousal tax credit for a non-resident spouse, you will have to demonstrate that you're supporting your spouse (e.g. evidence of transfer payments). Support is defined as helping meet his/her basic needs.

    Unless your spouse is filing a return or applying for a credit, she won't actually need a temporary SIN.

    If you did want to get her one, here's the form: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1261/t1261-12e.pdf

Share This Page