+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income from a source other than the Work Permit

sn_tx

Oct 20, 2005
Hi all,

I have a work permit issued on the basis of a certain employer and I am working in Canada for that employer. Now, if I have to do some consulting work, for a few hours a week, for a source other than the one I am working full time for, am I violating any laws?

Regards,

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
If your work permit is not "Open" then the answer to your question is "yes!". You are working in an unauthorized capacity and as such illegally. Unless you are a PR or a citizen you must have authorisation to perform work in Canada. If your work permit names an employer then you are only permitted to work within the context of the role and the employer stated on the work permit. If you choose to go off and consult as an enterprise all of your own volition then you are doing so without authorsation and as such it is a criminal offence.

I looked into doing consultancy myself while waiting for my AIP but got told in no uncertain terms by my lawyer I wasn't permitted. Now, there are of course ways around this which stretch the interpritation of the law without actually breaking it.

sn_tx

Oct 20, 2005
Thanks. To elaborate, I am going to work for an university as a faculty member. The university allows consulting for the faculty for as much as 1 day per week. So, the employer is ok with this. Does your post still hold true?

I appreciate your input.