+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Include pay stubs and T4, T4As?

wpower

Feb 14, 2012
I am wondering if I should include my pay stubs and T4, T4As in my application, if I have already got employment letter clearly stating I worked 40hours/week and my salary. Has anybody received request to submit these or has any application been returned because of lack of these materials?

Here is my situation. It may be a bit complex and I appreciate if you can read it through. I am claiming working experience as a TA/RA in my university where I am a graduate student. I have got a letter from my department clearly stated I worked 40 hours per week for 4 years (Sept 2006 to Oct 2010) and received about $23,000 per year.

However my payment was only $20,000 in the last two years while it was about 26,000 in the first two years. Will this cause any problem because the officer may think $20,000 for a full-time job is too low?

My another worry is that my T4s from the university also include the payment from another in-campus labor job I took. Since the labor job is not under 0, A or B NOC category, I am not claiming this working experience. Thus I am afraid the officer may get confused seeing my T4/T4As show different payment compared to my TA/RA pay stubs.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wpower said:
I worked 40 hours per week for 4 years (Sept 2006 to Oct 2010) and received about $23,000 per year.
There are a few issues to comment on, but this is the big one - are these dates correct?

Assuming you intend to qualify through 2 years of skilled employment, the 2 years must be completed within 3 years of the application date. If your application was received by CIC today, you could only count the experience back to March 4, 2009. March 4 2009-Oct 2010 does not give you 2 years of experience.

wpower

Feb 14, 2012
jes_ON said:
There are a few issues to comment on, but this is the big one - are these dates correct?

Assuming you intend to qualify through 2 years of skilled employment, the 2 years must be completed within 3 years of the application date. If your application was received by CIC today, you could only count the experience back to March 4, 2009. March 4 2009-Oct 2010 does not give you 2 years of experience.
OH thank you jes_ON for your prompt reply. Yes I have full-time working experience in my company from Jan 2011 to present, which is more than 14 months of working experience. I haven't graduated yet so I am not eligible for the Graduate stream of CEC. Thus I am applying as a Temporary worker.

Thanks again for your careful reading. I appreciate your patience.

shamol82

Jan 11, 2012
I was wondering, is salary a big issue for the CEC applicants? I am also working for more than one year (35 hr/week) with post-grad work permit and planning to apply very soon. I am getting a salary of $19,600/yr. is it going to be problem?

Also wondering, if anybody get refused a CEC application for having a low salary?

Thanks

sgtpr

Dec 31, 2011
The following might create some clarity.... h t t p : / / w w w .cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25-eng.pdf

Please refer sections 9.11, 9.12 (Page 18,19) and Appendix B for rules related to work experience eligibility.

As per my understanding, I believe the work experience gained after completing your graduation alone is considered.

Thanks
sgtpr.

wpower

Feb 14, 2012
sgtpr said:
The following might create some clarity.... h t t p : / / w w w .cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25-eng.pdf

Please refer sections 9.11, 9.12 (Page 18,19) and Appendix B for rules related to work experience eligibility.

As per my understanding, I believe the work experience gained after completing your graduation alone is considered.

Thanks
sgtpr.
Hi sgtpr,

My understanding is the "after completing your graduation" is work experience requirement for the Post-Graduation Stream. I am going to apply in the Temporary Foreign Worker Stream. Seems in this stream my work experience don't have to be post-graduation.

But thank you for carefully pointing that out. I guess a lot people may have not noticed that requirement.

wpower

Feb 14, 2012
shamol82 said:
I was wondering, is salary a big issue for the CEC applicants? I am also working for more than one year (35 hr/week) with post-grad work permit and planning to apply very soon. I am getting a salary of $19,600/yr. is it going to be problem?

Also wondering, if anybody get refused a CEC application for having a low salary?

Thanks
I am not sure about this but in a FSW thread some people said it may cause confusion or suspicion if the hourly salary is too low (the line may be about $11/hour).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wpower said:
OK, so back to your original questions -

I am wondering if I should include my pay stubs and T4, T4As in my application, if I have already got employment letter clearly stating I worked 40hours/week and my salary. Has anybody received request to submit these or has any application been returned because of lack of these materials?

Well... The document checklist says "most recent" T4s... So technically if you submitted the T4 for 2011, you have fulfilled the requirement. It wouldn't hurt to submit all the T4's for the qualifying experience, tho. And it is always possible that CIC requests the older T4s.

Pay stubs are NOT required. However they may be useful for some people (e.g. those who have variable hours every week).

Here is my situation. It may be a bit complex and I appreciate if you can read it through. I am claiming working experience as a TA/RA in my university where I am a graduate student. I have got a letter from my department clearly stated I worked 40 hours per week for 4 years (Sept 2006 to Oct 2010) and received about $23,000 per year.

However my payment was only $20,000 in the last two years while it was about 26,000 in the first two years. Will
this cause any problem because the officer may think $20,000 for a full-time job is too low?

The letter literally says "about $23,000 per year"? Seriously?

The letter will cause problems if there is a discrepancy between what your letter states you were paid, and what you were actually paid. (not because of the salary level, which sounds pretty good for an RA/TA).

The letter should accurately and precisely state your exact salary for specific time period (beginning and end dates). As well, if the additional labor job falls within the past 3 years, it should cover that as well. You might try to get a letter from the university's HR department instead of your academic department to cover everything, accurately.

And seriously - 40 hours per week of EMPLOYMENT (not study) for 4 years (48 months), as an RA/TA? Not for 32 weeks/year x4 or 9 months/year X 4, or...? Is that also "about 4 years?" :) It sounds a bit oversimplified to me (like the salary was), and should also be corrected if need be...

wpower

Feb 14, 2012

Oh thanks jes_ON. Such a careful review and response. I appreciate it.

The letter I got from the department stated "The department has offered MYNAME an employment of Teaching Assitant/Research Assitant from September 2006 to October 2010 (40 hours/per week), and he received in average approximately $23000 per year."

So do you mean the wording is not accurate and specific enough for the immigration application? When I asked my department to issue this letter, I provided the number of salary based on all my pay stubs from my department. My exact income was $22723 in average each year. So are you suggesting give the income each year separately?

Thank you very much for the help. I will also try to contact the HR of the university see if they can provide such a letter.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wpower said:
So are you suggesting give the income each year separately?
Not exactly - I'm saying you should give the exact start and end dates for each period of employment. And if your rate of pay changed during that time, you state the time period for each rate. (If your rate of pay didn't change, then this is moot, but you'll instead need to explain why it was lower in the last 2 years).

Here's an example from a friend who held a few positions at a university - of course I have no idea what it actually was for you, whether you actually worked for 12 months every year, etc - in my experience, GTAs get annual contracts or appointment letters that spell out these details.

Dates Position Hours / week Salary
9/15/2008-5/15/2009 Graduate Teaching Assistant 20 16,000 / 9 months
6/01/2009-07/30/2009 Summer grounds keeper 40 12 / hour
9/15/2009-5/15/2010 Graduate Research Assistant 20 18,000 / 9 months
9/15/2010-5/15/2011 Graduate Research Assistant 20 18,000 / 9 months

(Of course, you'll have to describe job duties for each different position held.)

Also - there's a difference between what you earn and what your annual salary is. Let's say your annual salary is 20,000 but you only worked 9 months that year - you earned 15,000. Your annual ("annualized") salary (pay rate) is still 20,000/year.

Yes, CIC asks for annual salary, but if that is not how you are paid, you report what you get.

wpower

Feb 14, 2012
Thanks a lot jes_ON. It looks very detailed. Thanks for all the answers in this post.

jes_ON said:
Not exactly - I'm saying you should give the exact start and end dates for each period of employment. And if your rate of pay changed during that time, you state the time period for each rate. (If your rate of pay didn't change, then this is moot, but you'll instead need to explain why it was lower in the last 2 years).

Here's an example from a friend who held a few positions at a university - of course I have no idea what it actually was for you, whether you actually worked for 12 months every year, etc - in my experience, GTAs get annual contracts or appointment letters that spell out these details.

Dates Position Hours / week Salary
9/15/2008-5/15/2009 Graduate Teaching Assistant 20 16,000 / 9 months
6/01/2009-07/30/2009 Summer grounds keeper 40 12 / hour
9/15/2009-5/15/2010 Graduate Research Assistant 20 18,000 / 9 months
9/15/2010-5/15/2011 Graduate Research Assistant 20 18,000 / 9 months

(Of course, you'll have to describe job duties for each different position held.)

Also - there's a difference between what you earn and what your annual salary is. Let's say your annual salary is 20,000 but you only worked 9 months that year - you earned 15,000. Your annual ("annualized") salary (pay rate) is still 20,000/year.

Yes, CIC asks for annual salary, but if that is not how you are paid, you report what you get.