+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-laws Visitor visa refusal

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Hi helpful members of the forum,

Throughout the last 10 years this forum has been so helpful for me personally that I had to reach out now in this difficult situation.

I am a Canadian citizen now (originally from Bangladesh). My wife is a permanent resident (through spouse sponsorship) and this summer we were planning to have her father, mother & younger brother to visit us, but their applications got refused twice.

Both the times the refusal (for all 3 applicants) had the same

"I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence."

We submitted the first application ourselves, but used an immigration law firm for the second one, but the response (refusal letters) were identical. My father-in-law runs a successful business in Bangladesh, and has every reason to go back. A good 30+ various documents were submitted showing his (and his families) current business and financial standings, and even the lawyers are baffled by the refusal. Being as humble as I can, I can say that their ties back home are very strong.

The lawyers sent reconsideration emails to the Singapore High Commission (who deals with visas for Bangladeshis) rebutting each point referencing the submitted documents, but we got no response. We are hesitant to re-apply as its racking up refusal counts and we have reasons to believe their documents are not being considered.

At this point I am concerned if there is really something else in their profile thats causing this (ATIP/GCMS note is pretty much aligned with the refusal letters).

One thing to note, he applied for Canada immigration back in 2010 (long before I was married to their daughter), but decided not to immigrate after the medical request came due to personal reasons. The application was closed and he mentioned this clearly in his recent visit visa applications.

Apology for making you read through this long post (if you are still reading), but if there is anything you can suggest I do (contacting IRCC, visa offices, consular services in Bangladesh or Singapore etc) will really really appreciate.

The lawyers suggested reapplication and we might be the victim of an 'unofficial quota of rejections'. Is this really true? Is re-applying over and over again with the same set of documents the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
What ties do the mother and brother have? If they don't have ties, then your father in laws case may be weakened. Theirs would be weak to begin with.

Bringing the entire family together creates an overstay risk.

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
What ties do the mother and brother have? If they don't have ties, then your father in laws case may be weakened. Theirs would be weak to begin with.

Bringing the entire family together creates an overstay risk.
Thanks for the reply k.h.p

My mother in law is a house-wife, and my brother-in-law is a university student. Their individual and joint bank account statements were submitted.

But I see your point...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The fact that they applied for immigration once before also creates concerns that they may be at risk of overstaying in addition to travelling with the whole family. Your wife only arrived somewhat recently. Assume it was an arranged marriage so his wife marrying a Canadian citizen shows that the family is trying to create ties to Canada. Have they travelled internationally to countries like the US, Australia, UK? Would recommend that the younger brother remains at home if they want to apply again. His chances of approval are relatively low to begin with. Would order CAIPS.

Would also limit visit request to 2-3 weeks.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the reply k.h.p

My mother in law is a house-wife, and my brother-in-law is a university student. Their individual and joint bank account statements were submitted.

But I see your point...
Try for a supervisa, unfortunately you would have to leave the brother in law out.

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
The fact that they applied for immigration once before also creates concerns that they may be at risk of overstaying in addition to travelling with the whole family. Your wife only arrived somewhat recently. Assume it was an arranged marriage so his wife marrying a Canadian citizen shows that the family is trying to create ties to Canada. Have they travelled internationally to countries like the US, Australia, UK? Would recommend that the younger brother remains at home if they want to apply again. His chances of approval are relatively low to begin with. Would order CAIPS.

Would also limit visit request to 2-3 weeks.
Thanks canuck78.

They have traveled to UK, Europe, Australia as a family. Point noted about my brother in law. Something has to be different if they re-apply, so trying to figure out whats best.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks Jets13,

Supervisa is the last resort we are holding on to, although the same 'ties to country of residence' requirement applies.
Focus a little shifts to yourself as you have to provide income levels and pay for medical insurance etc..... supervisa initial entry can be two years so if someone can be away for two years can they really expect super strong ties to home country?