+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing Car from US to Canada - Vehicle Already In Canada

chewmanji

Mar 27, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Background: I am a Canadian citizen with US PR who recently moved back to Canada from the US. However, I moved back for a job for which there was a probation period. When I crossed into Canada I wasn't sure if the job would stick, so I thought I would hold off on importing the car until I knew for sure I would stay in Canada. Canada Customs stopped me at the border and I explained my situation to them, which they accepted. They gave me a 6-month temporary allowance to drive in Canada with US plates as long as I was insured. Fast forward to now.

I now want to properly import my vehicle into Canada. I have all the proper documentation, and have requested an export package from USCBP. Will I have a problem importing the vehicle if it is already in Canada? That is, if I fax or e-mail in the documents, does my vehicle have to be in the US while they process the documents? Would USCBP have a problem with me sending in the documents, waiting the 72 hour period, then driving to the US border for processing from Canada, or would they be suspicious that I wasn't coming in from the US side?

Thoughts? I am just wondering if I would be subject to fines or forced to leave the vehicle in the US for 3 days.

Thanks!

khanm777

Star Member
Feb 19, 2009
The best way to do this is you drive back to us and stay they for 3 days. As soon as you cross the boarder you fax to USCBP and wait for 72 hours and then come to canada and do all your paperwork at customs. I was in the same boat as you with same problem. but i did exectly as a mention and they was no problem at all. Hope this helps

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I don't think there is anything that says the car must be in the U.S. 3 days before it is exported. You just have to send the paperwork to the port 3 days before you cross over and cross back. Who knows what U.S. CBP will do. They are unpredictable. You could always call the U.S. port you plan to export from and just ask them what to do.