+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implication of US Green card to Canadian Citizenship Application

sajbud

Apr 4, 2019
I am a Canadian PR who have a pending green card application to US for better opportunity. At the same time, I also have pending Canadian citizenship application which unfortunately is taking forever. Originally, I thought that I would get the Canadian citizenship before the green card which would have been hassle free but apparently I am going to get the green card sooner so here I am in this complicated situation now. I want to get the citizenship because I really intend to settle in Canada in the near future after I finish the process of licensing for my profession here in Canada which is also taking forever ( more than 3 years now, so frustrating!), whereas I can practice this profession right now in the US with the green card and make good money. Also, I'm already tied up to a contract to work for the US employer for 2 years so there's no backing out.

Here are my options:

1. Is it ok if I move to US after getting the green card and just go back for the test/interview and oath taking?

2.Or should I at least wait for the test/interview for citizenship before getting the green card then move to US? (meaning I will delay the green card so they won’t see any immigrant visa on the passport then just go back for the oath taking)

3.or should I get the green card after the test/interview then wait until oath taking before I move?

4......i’m open for suggestions.

My plan is to drive to Canada at least once a month to see my girlfriend who is Canadian. Also, I would still have a Canadian address for mailing purposes which is my brother’s house where I stayed. I hope someone can share their experience similar to mine or give me advise on how to handle my situation and give insight on having US immigrant visa on my passport when I get to the interview step for citizenship where they check passport for entry and exit. Thanks.

P.S. I’m having headaches overthinking the situation I’m in right now. :confused:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am a Canadian PR who have a pending green card application to US for better opportunity. At the same time, I also have pending Canadian citizenship application which unfortunately is taking forever. Originally, I thought that I would get the Canadian citizenship before the green card which would have been hassle free but apparently I am going to get the green card sooner so here I am in this complicated situation now. I want to get the citizenship because I really intend to settle in Canada in the near future after I finish the process of licensing for my profession here in Canada which is also taking forever ( more than 3 years now, so frustrating!), whereas I can practice this profession right now in the US with the green card and make good money. Also, I'm already tied up to a contract to work for the US employer for 2 years so there's no backing out.

Here are my options:

1. Is it ok if I move to US after getting the green card and just go back for the test/interview and oath taking?

2.Or should I at least wait for the test/interview for citizenship before getting the green card then move to US? (meaning I will delay the green card so they won’t see any immigrant visa on the passport then just go back for the oath taking)

3.or should I get the green card after the test/interview then wait until oath taking before I move?

My plan is to drive to Canada at least once a month to see my girlfriend who is Canadian. Also, I would still have a Canadian address for mailing purposes which is my brother’s house where I stayed. I hope someone can share their experience similar to mine or give me advise on how to handle my situation and give insight on having US immigrant visa on my passport when I get to the interview step for citizenship where they check passport for entry and exit. Thanks.

P.S. I’m having headaches overthinking the situation I’m in right now. :confused:
As long as you are eligible to apply for citizenship, you can move to the USA and return to Canada for the test/interview and Oath. You will need a Canadian passport to fly back to Canada in the future once you have taken the Oath. Factor the passport acquisition timing into your plans.

sajbud

Apr 4, 2019
As long as you are eligible to apply for citizenship, you can move to the USA and return to Canada for the test/interview and Oath. You will need a Canadian passport to fly back to Canada in the future once you have taken the Oath. Factor the passport acquisition timing into your plans.
Thanks, do you mean Canadian passport to move back to US?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

Here are my options:

You worry too much, IRCC has no way of knowing you have green card filing in process - it's probably easier than if you already have your green card, because if you already have the green card when you apply for citizenship, you would have to disclose that on your application form and this MAY raise some red flags in the eyes of SOME officers..

Last edited:

sajbud

Apr 4, 2019
Yeah I kinda worry to much. hehe. I do
You worry too much, IRCC has no way of knowing you have green card filing in process - it's probably easier than if you already have your green card, because if you already have the green card when you apply for citizenship, you would have to disclose that on your application form and this MAY raise some red flags in the eyes of SOME officers..
Yeah I’m just worried that It may mess up with my plans. Thanks for the comment