+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5562 - Travel History - Inland sponsorship

Ark999

Sep 11, 2023
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I (principal applicant) submitted my application for PR - Common law sponsorship.

I am Italian, but I live in Canada and I have been here for several years, first as a student and now as a worker. My partner is a Canadian citizen.

When filling out the various online forms, I saw that form IMM 5562 - Travel history was not mandatory (i.e., it did not have a red star sign next to it), and when checking the country specific requirements for my case (Italian but living in Canada) the IRCC website says that no extra forms or special instructions are required. Moreover, the complete guide IMM 5289 says that IMM 5562 needs to be completed “if applicable”, meaning when it shows up in the country specific requirements. For these reasons, I did not fill the form.

However, I read conflicting opinions on who (only outland applicants, inland and outland applicants) needs to fill this form. What’s your experience with this form? Do only people living in specific countries and not in Canada need to complete it? Thank you for your help!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I (principal applicant) submitted my application for PR - Common law sponsorship.

I am Italian, but I live in Canada and I have been here for several years, first as a student and now as a worker. My partner is a Canadian citizen.

When filling out the various online forms, I saw that form IMM 5562 - Travel history was not mandatory (i.e., it did not have a red star sign next to it), and when checking the country specific requirements for my case (Italian but living in Canada) the IRCC website says that no extra forms or special instructions are required. Moreover, the complete guide IMM 5289 says that IMM 5562 needs to be completed “if applicable”, meaning when it shows up in the country specific requirements. For these reasons, I did not fill the form.

However, I read conflicting opinions on who (only outland applicants, inland and outland applicants) needs to fill this form. What’s your experience with this form? Do only people living in specific countries and not in Canada need to complete it? Thank you for your help!
I believe some applicants/dependents will need to complete this form.
To randomly check, I selected Afghanistan (cos it's the first one on the drop down list)

Afghanistan - Additional forms for residents
  • Supplementary Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562) (digital form).
    The principal applicant and all family members included in the application who are 18 years old or older must complete this form.

Reactions: Ark999

Ark999

Sep 11, 2023
Hello YVR123,

thanks for the answer. That’s what I did too. I “played” a little bit with the tool and I saw that the form is required only for some countries, and Italy is not among those.

Knowing that someone else was in a similar situation and they got their AOR (and the application was not rejected/returned with the request of further information) would also reassure me.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello YVR123,

thanks for the answer. That’s what I did too. I “played” a little bit with the tool and I saw that the form is required only for some countries, and Italy is not among those.

Knowing that someone else was in a similar situation and they got their AOR (and the application was not rejected/returned with the request of further information) would also reassure me.
In that case, I will let other members who has the experience answer your concern.

Reactions: Ark999

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello YVR123,

Yes, it is not required for all nationalities. As far as I'm aware, mainly allies with which good info sharing (USA NATO EU Aus NZ ), but I haven't checked them all.

So if you checked for your country, do that.

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
The requirement is not based on nationality. It’s based on being a resident of some countries. So, if you have lived as a resident in the past in any of these countries (I don’t have a list) you will be required to fill out IMM5562.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The requirement is not based on nationality. It’s based on being a resident of some countries. So, if you have lived as a resident in the past in any of these countries (I don’t have a list) you will be required to fill out IMM5562.
Good point, my mistake - 'get the the application package' form online asks about countries you've lived in, not nationality.

https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Should be the same basic thing as I've implied above for those that have mainly/always resided in their country of nationality, but definitely not the case for all. And you're right, it's not based on nationality/citizenship in that form.

I would also speculate that those who have never resided in their country of nationality might later get a request for travel history, but that's not that common a scenario.

Also worth noting that those who have or will need documents from countries they've not resided in (eg got married in some third country) may need to check country-specific requirements for those countries.

I also don't know which countries of residency result in being required to fill out the travel history; my guesses/intuition would be the same as I wrote above.

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
@armoured

I could conclude that when the IMM5562 form is not marked required on the portal at the time of application, but then when submitted and IRCC returns the application, that means that they actually looked at the other forms and concluded that the form is missing based on the residency information provided. Our application was returned after 10 weeks of submission. I wonder if missing the form and them taking the time to go through the application were factors in that delay.

Peh

Feb 11, 2024
Hello everyone! I sponsor my husband and he live Myanmar and he never bee in Canada so, do I need to fill out 5562 form or not? Thanks