+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM5444E - Travel History - Period to be assessed

ElTournesol

Apr 29, 2014
Hello,

i became PR in 2009, landed, spent a couple of months over the next 2 years, then came back in 2011 to settle "for good".
i have lived here in Canada for the last 3 years consecutively, cumulating approximately 80 days of absence since 2011.

Questions :

- the subject questionnaire indicates "Period to be assessed" in the Travel history ; my understanding of it is that, in a case like mine, i should therefore be able to indicate 2011-2014 ; since the first two years were spent abroad, and i do not wish to include them (nor have the couple of months spent here accounted for) - Correct ?

- following up on the above logic, i have many stamps in foreign language on my passports, which i have to translate obviously ; but i do not intend on translating anything prior to 2011, since again i consider the first 2 years "obsolete" - Thoughts ?

- any experience with certification of the colored copies of the passports ? Some tell me it has to be done ; my translator says she is certified ; others seem to have done without; supplying only translated copies, without specific certification (notary ...etc).

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

Cheers.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter what you wish you have to follow the law and this says the examination period for PR Card renewal covers:

1. For a PR less than 5 years - the period from landing to the 5th anniversary of your landing date. Any yet to be accumulated days are added to your RO count in your favor.

2. For a PR more than 5 years - the period back to 5 years prior to the application date (as declared and signed). You don't say which month you landed.

So you can't discount the 2011 days you must include them. The instruction guide says any document not in English or French must be translated. I think this is unambiguous. The same guide then clarifies that there be both an affidavit from the translator and certified copies of documents. Those who listen to friends etc when dealing with CIC can't use the friend as an authority when CIC either bounce the application or send the package back as incomplete. As the saying goes when in doubt read the instruction guide!

good luck

ElTournesol

Apr 29, 2014
Thank you Msafiri,

what is your interpretation of the "Period to be assessed" boxes in the IMM5444E document ?
5 years of history is indeed clearly stated, in which case, why is there an input for the applicant to "define" a period of assessment ?

i could not find anything in the instructions guide on this.

Cheers.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. What was your landing date?
2. What date do intend to sign the application?