+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM008 Start date of common law relationship.

Modoisthebest

Dec 14, 2021
Question 13b asks which date you entered a common law relationship. My gf and I moved in together on July 11, 2020.
So would we put July 11th or 12, 2021 as the day that we started our common-law relationship?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Question 13b asks which date you entered a common law relationship. My gf and I moved in together on July 11, 2020.
So would we put July 11th or 12, 2021 as the day that we started our common-law relationship?
Don't think the specific day 11th or 12th matters much (I think actually July 10 is correct, because that's 365 days - in the same way Jan 1-Dec 31 is one full year).

Note, there was a case here of a couple that did as you did - that is acc to instructions saying entered into common law one year after day they moved in.

BUT: they got a PFL saying they didn't meet the common law requirement (i.e. the officer thought the date meant the day they started living together. I seem to recall it was just an error and their explanation worked.

But out of an abundance of caution, I'd add a SHORT letter of explanation that you moved in together on such-and-such and therefore you are putting date one year after start of cohabitation.

Certainly not needed for couples together more than two years.

Rickster_21

Star Member
Feb 20, 2019
I have an urgent question about common law and help would be appreciated. I received my ITA in 2020 and moved in with my bf in oct 2020, at the time I was not sure how soon or late my pr will come through. Due to covid delays the pr didn’t come through and we completed a year of living together. At the time of application he was not included but now I want to declare him. Question : will this impact my application in a bad way?
What if I declare him as a common law prtner but not accompanying? This way he doesn’t need to quit his job right now and I can also get a better footing in canada and sponsor him later? Please let me know if this is a good approach. Thanks in advance.