+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406 Additional Family Information

Lynnekovan

Sep 4, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have found yet another form that I'm unsure of whether I need to fill it in or not. The IMM5406 seems to be asking my husband, who I am sponsoring, about his dependents. Also it looks as if it should be included in Part 2, once my request to sponsor him has been accepted.

Can anyone please enlighten me? Thanks so much for all the help so far!

Lynne

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp

This guide states the following:

Additional family information (IMM 5406)

Who needs to fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by:

You, as the principal applicant,
Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
I am sponsoring my Chinese wife. We have a child. We entered his information on the form, along with my wife's parents, her sister, and myself. Is this correct? The definition of family confuses me. Dependent children is also confusing, because our son is a Canadian citizen, but he is still dependent on us...did we fill this out correctly?

FS

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
You appear to have included extra family beyond what is required - if it were me I would just say, that's okay and thanks for the extra information. All you need to include in this case is what is considered your immediate family. That would mean your wife and any children - it could include children from another relationship/marriage that meet the criteria of dependant. You can find that definition in the material available in the application forms.

If you have listed all these extra people a reasonable officer will see they are not your 'dependants' or immediate family for CIC purposes.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
But it says "additional family"...so if I am only sponsoring my wife, I put her name, my name, and our son's name...do I leave the 'mother', 'father' and 'sister sections blank? This doesn't make sense...and now I am confused...no big surprise there :p

FS

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
This is from the guide:

Section A

Write the personal details for:

yourself
your spouse or common-law partner (if applicable)
your mother
your father

Does it mean only if they are being sponsored? So for me, since I am the sponsor, do I leave the 'spouse' blank? It says in Section B that we must list our children, even if they are already Canadian citizens.

Thanks,
FS

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
IMM 5406 is details of the sponsored person's family (relatives), this time including parents, siblings and children.

A - Include YOUR name as the spouse/sponsor (if you are filling in the form). Note that if you do not include the name of a spouse, you are required to sign saying you are not married, which would not be correct. Also you need the applicant's name, and the names of his/her parents. This is mandatory, they are not being sponsored, but CIC wants to know who the prospective immigrant's parents are.

B - Include the names of ALL your children, including any children acquired by marriage, if applicable.

C - Names of ALL the sponsored spouses brothers and sister, including half- and step-siblings. Again, they just need this for information purposes, this is not because they are being sponsored.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
My apology, of course you must include your extended family on this form for review. As you have noted family members must be included so you appear to have read the information required as necessary and need no instruction! Well done.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
NBaker!! Haha...it's confusing enough...haha...but I appreciate your attempts at offering advice...even if it was dead wrong! haha

Cheers...not to you, NBaker!!! haha...just joking, of course...

FS

lovenish

Star Member
Aug 6, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
CharlieD10 said:
IMM 5406 is details of the sponsored person's family (relatives), this time including parents, siblings and children.

A - Include YOUR name as the spouse/sponsor (if you are filling in the form). Note that if you do not include the name of a spouse, you are required to sign saying you are not married, which would not be correct. Also you need the applicant's name, and the names of his/her parents. This is mandatory, they are not being sponsored, but CIC wants to know who the prospective immigrant's parents are.

B - Include the names of ALL your children, including any children acquired by marriage, if applicable.

C - Names of ALL the sponsored spouses brothers and sister, including half- and step-siblings. Again, they just need this for information purposes, this is not because they are being sponsored.
hi thr please help me i am bit confused while filling this form... i am primary applicant..nd according to you i should mention my parents name.. but we check any where on cic website it says give the info only about dependents like wife or children.. plz clarify this.. nd same do we have to mention the name of brothers nd sisters also even if i am not sponsoring them????

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The name of the form is IMM 5406 Additional Family Information. On all the other immigration forms, 'family members' means only your immediate family, that is your spouse or partner and any children (though there is also another form that asks for your parents' names). On this form, CIC wants info about your additional family, so yes, include your spouse or partner, your parents, your children, and all siblings, even if they are already Canadian or PR, and even if they are not being sponsored by you and never will be.

This is just background information CIC wants. They use it for background checks, and will check the info against other applications made by relatives.

lovenish

Star Member
Aug 6, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
canadianwoman said:
The name of the form is IMM 5406 Additional Family Information. On all the other immigration forms, 'family members' means only your immediate family, that is your spouse or partner and any children (though there is also another form that asks for your parents' names). On this form, CIC wants info about your additional family, so yes, include your spouse or partner, your parents, your children, and all siblings, even if they are already Canadian or PR, and even if they are not being sponsored by you and never will be.

This is just background information CIC wants. They use it for background checks, and will check the info against other applications made by relatives.
Many Thanks for ur reply...

David_C

Star Member
Mar 11, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Guys,

I had some questions relating who is the Applicant in case of the spouse, on the form.
The following video helped me alot.

http://immigrationcanada.pro/videos/video-tutorial-additional-family-information-form-imm5406/

God bless :)

Seltik

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-13
Nomination.....
24-11-14
AOR Received.
19-05-15
Med's Request
23-06-15
Med's Done....
06-07-15
Passport Req..
24-07-15
VISA ISSUED...
10-08-15
LANDED..........
15-10-15
canadianwoman said:

Hi All,

I am filling-up this form and I am stuck and confused since I am Separated with my former wife and currently, Annulment process is underway, Do i need to include her on this form?

Seltik