+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

im really confused !

shoog

May 27, 2010
guys i need help

i came to Canada in 2004 as refugee , i got PR card in 2006. i stayed in Canada until 2009 but i didn't apply for the citizenship and that's my fault .

i traveled out of Canada for 14 months. Now i came back in May 2010 and i wanna apply for the citizenship the online calculator says you are not eligible for the citizenship and you have to wait until 2013. Since i was in Canada before i get PR card i have a year out of 2 years, after 2006 i spent 3 years. that means i have 4 years in Canada

i know my absence effect me but i don't wanna wait another 3 years
can anyone help me please >>>>>

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry but you are only being subjected to the same rules as everybody else, that is, if you want to apply for citizenship, you need to have spent 3 out of the last 4 years in Canada before you apply.

You can try to apply earlier if you feel that the rules should not apply to you. Your application will take a lot longer and you will have to convince a citizenship judge that the rules should not apply to you. If that works out, then maybe you can get your citizenship a little sooner.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Nope, you must follow the residence calculator and apply only after you qualify (become eligible).

Otherwise it will be refused by the judge and all that time (processing) will be lost, followed by extra scrutiny the next time you apply.

Choice is yours.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to Immigration Canada, you are allowed to apply if you have less than 1095 days in Canada because of absences as is the situation of the original poster.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0407E.pdf said:
The Citizenship Act requires a person to have accumulated 3 years (1095 days) in the past 4 years on the day before the application. If you have less than 1095 days in Canada because of absences outside of Canada you may still apply for citizenship. It will be up to a judge to determine if those absences affect your application. There is no refund of the processing fee if your application is not approved because you do not meet the residence requirement.
However, I do not know how common it is for them to overlook your absences. From what I've heard, these applications take way longer and I think he would have to have some very good reasons for why the rules should not apply to him to get approved.