+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have hernia does this stop me from migrating to Canada??

Kpkumar713

Sep 23, 2019
Hi guys,

I had a hernia surgery in 2006 and it got failed and now I am still having a hernia. Does this stop me from immigrating to Canada ?

please advice:
Do I need to get my surgery done in my country and then go for the check up?? Or is it okay to stay like that??

Thank you

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Are you actively being treated for it (medication?). Or is it just something you have to be careful about?

It will be an issue if it costs Canada more than $20,000 a year to treat your condition. Remember that medication in Canada is a lot more expensive than India. That being said, if you're not on any expensive medication in India (say you only use Aspirin or something similar), it's not likely to reach $20k levels.

Kpkumar713

Sep 23, 2019
No I have this condition by birth.. and I don’t take any medications... so is good to get the surgery done before giving my medical?? What do you think??

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No I have this condition by birth.. and I don’t take any medications... so is good to get the surgery done before giving my medical?? What do you think??
You don't have to have the surgery if you don't need to. It's better not to, in fact, since there may be complications from the surgery. If your doctor doesn't advise you to get the surgery, don't do it just for immigration purposes. A condition of this nature will not disqualify you from immigrating.

Reactions: Pretom Ghosh

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Do we need to mention this to the doctor ... when giving medicals??
Yes. And the doctor will probably be able to tell. Again, this isn't that serious if you've had it since birth and you aren't taking any medication for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be getting your hernia fixed again if a surgeon is telling you it needs to be closed again. The operation is pretty basic. Umbilical hernias are the most common hernia at birth and usually close up on their own or are operated on as a child. You had surgery once before so assume you likely need it again, Intestines can always get trapped in the hernia and die. How long has the hernia been back and have you actually gone to a surgeon to see if you need an operation again? You shouldn’t wait until you get PR to get it fixed. That could mean 2 years if you get PR then go through tons of waiting periods.

Kpkumar713

Sep 23, 2019
I had this surgery in 2006 and it failed after days and since then I haven’t had any problems with it. And I went to the doctor after that and they said it is not needed if I don’t feel any pain ... so I haven’t undergone any surgery.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had this surgery in 2006 and it failed after days and since then I haven’t had any problems with it. And I went to the doctor after that and they said it is not needed if I don’t feel any pain ... so I haven’t undergone any surgery.
So you should be fine then.