+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have a job offer... what's the next step?

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Hello all,

I have been a busy little bee searching for jobs in Calgary, and I have 1 potential Offer.
I have spoke with the Manager at the Dealership, he seems very interested and is well aware of my situation and my attempt to move to Canada. However, he didn't seem to knowledgable in how the whole work visa process takes or where to start... it almost came across like he's waiting on me to get the ball rolling....

So, I want to ask... Now that I have a job offer... what's the next step in obtaining a work permit?

I was under the impression that the Employer needs to supply a LMO and once that happens I can apply for a work visa... is that correct? I really need to get this sorted out asap, please help!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HBeach78 said:
Hello all,

I have been a busy little bee searching for jobs in Calgary, and I have 1 potential Offer.
I have spoke with the Manager at the Dealership, he seems very interested and is well aware of my situation and my attempt to move to Canada. However, he didn't seem to knowledgable in how the whole work visa process takes or where to start... it almost came across like he's waiting on me to get the ball rolling....

So, I want to ask... Now that I have a job offer... what's the next step in obtaining a work permit?

I was under the impression that the Employer needs to supply a LMO and once that happens I can apply for a work visa... is that correct? I really need to get this sorted out asap, please help!!!
The employer needs to apply for an LMO with evidence that they have advertised the position extensively and that there are no PR/CCs available for the position. They send the application to Service Canada. http://142.236.54.114/en/ab-nwt-nu/fwp/fw.shtml

PMM

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Thanks PMM

Should I be applying for the work visa now? or Do I have to wait for my employer to obtain the LMO first?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what my options are...

I have heard/read horror stories of this process taking up to 6 months or longer before a person can "land"

Is it possible to apply for a temp work visa and then find a job in Canada once I get there?
I have seen the term "job under pressure" a few times on this site... will that speed up the process? Sorry for all the questions... Just trying to better educate myself and do things the right way :)
Thanks again!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HBeach78 said:
Thanks PMM

Should I be applying for the work visa now? or Do I have to wait for my employer to obtain the LMO first?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what my options are...

I have heard/read horror stories of this process taking up to 6 months or longer before a person can "land"

Is it possible to apply for a temp work visa and then find a job in Canada once I get there?
I have seen the term "job under pressure" a few times on this site... will that speed up the process? Sorry for all the questions... Just trying to better educate myself and do things the right way :)
Thanks again!!
1. The employer has to apply, until you have the LMO you can't apply.
2. If the job is one "under pressure" in Alberta, then the process will be relatively quick, if not then 6+ months for the LMO if it is approved.
3. No you can't apply for a work permit and then look for a job.

PMM

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
Thanks Again PMM, You have been most helpfull!!
I'm sure I'll have more questions and concerns as time goes on.... until then

Kind Regards :)