File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 14-8-2015 DM: 15-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Hello, my Common-Law Partner and I are 6 months in to our Outland App (CPC-Ottawa). We may decide to have me to "visit" him for the final duration of our application sometime this month, I just have a few questions.

1. I'd be bringing pretty much just clothes to last a few months, and some toiletries. I know that you can't just move up here with all of your stuff because it needs to be declared on the B4 when I land, will the things I bring while visiting be a problem? Do I need to declare them when I land still?

2. My family will most likely want to come with me if I go, would it be suitable to say at the border we're going on a mini vacation to visit my partner? And then I'll stay and extend when necessary?

3. 6 months in, would it delay my app if I needed to change my current mailing address, for when they send my COPR, to my Canadian address?

Thank you.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
gooh said:
Hello, my Common-Law Partner and I are 6 months in to our Outland App (CPC-Ottawa). We may decide to have me to "visit" him for the final duration of our application sometime this month, I just have a few questions.

1. I'd be bringing pretty much just clothes to last a few months, and some toiletries. I know that you can't just move up here with all of your stuff because it needs to be declared on the B4 when I land, will the things I bring while visiting be a problem? Do I need to declare them when I land still?

2. My family will most likely want to come with me if I go, would it be suitable to say at the border we're going on a mini vacation to visit my partner? And then I'll stay and extend when necessary?

1. No need to declare clothing that is not brand new and assuming they are without tags.
2. Always tell CBSA you are visiting and you should have no issues.

3. 6 months in, would it delay my app if I needed to change my current mailing address, for when they send my COPR, to my Canadian address?

Thank you.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 14-8-2015 DM: 15-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Your quoted reply seems to have messed up a bit, but thank you for the advice on the clothes, I didn't know that.

MrsHBKelly

Apr 24, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am currently in Canada (from US) on a 6 month stay.

A couple things to keep in mind...

is this your first visit this year? if so, you cannot exceed 6 months TOTAL in a calendar year in Canada, so they may hassle you about any previous visits.

Are you employed back in your home country? make sure you have a letter from your employer stating your intention to return to your job at the end of your stay.

Bring print outs of your bank accounts. they will want to see that you can support yourself with the savings you have available. Also proof of credit card limits.

I know it seems like a pain in the ass, but they can be sticklers for the details. Definitely don't pack more than 1 suitcase and a carry on (if you are flying) and be aware that they may want to look at your computer or cellphone to look for evidence you are in fact intending to stay in Canada.

I'm not tell you any of this to scare you, but it's better to have all your ducks in a row when you arrive. I would also tell them the truth that you are planning on staying for your 6 month allotment. If you have a pending PR application you will probably get flagged anyway, so you might as well be honest. the good thing is they will stamp your passport with a date for when you need to leave Canada, and that date will be logged in their system which will give you the ability to sign up for healthcare depending on what province you are in (you say you are common-law... is your partner currently living with you? If you have some kind of legal documentation they will be able to add you on their healthcare in Alberta, I don't know about the other provinces)

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
MrsHBKelly said:
I am currently in Canada (from US) on a 6 month stay.

A couple things to keep in mind...

is this your first visit this year? if so, you cannot exceed 6 months TOTAL in a calendar year in Canada, so they may hassle you about any previous visits.

Are you employed back in your home country? make sure you have a letter from your employer stating your intention to return to your job at the end of your stay.

Bring print outs of your bank accounts. they will want to see that you can support yourself with the savings you have available. Also proof of credit card limits.

I know it seems like a pain in the ass, but they can be sticklers for the details. Definitely don't pack more than 1 suitcase and a carry on (if you are flying) and be aware that they may want to look at your computer or cellphone to look for evidence you are in fact intending to stay in Canada.

I'm not tell you any of this to scare you, but it's better to have all your ducks in a row when you arrive. I would also tell them the truth that you are planning on staying for your 6 month allotment. If you have a pending PR application you will probably get flagged anyway, so you might as well be honest. the good thing is they will stamp your passport with a date for when you need to leave Canada, and that date will be logged in their system which will give you the ability to sign up for healthcare depending on what province you are in (you say you are common-law... is your partner currently living with you? If you have some kind of legal documentation they will be able to add you on their healthcare in Alberta, I don't know about the other provinces)
I feel pretty lucky then. I came to Canada in April 2014 for a 6 month visit. I actually wrote 180 days for length of stay on my declaration card. I had 1 large & 1 meduim suitcase, a carry on AND my 2 cats. (2 carriers) I had to go through secondary inspection because I had my cats.
I did have a return ticket, but the agent never asked to see it. He never asked me about a job or any ties to the US. I told him my plan was to visit for 6 months and apply for PR and I would apply for a visitor extension after the 180 days. He checked the documents for the cats and let me through. My passport was never stamped with a "leave by" date. I am not sure why it was soo easy. In the past 5 years I have been to Canada for quite a few visits for 2 weeks at a time. Maybe they saw that I always left and there were no red flags. I just know that when I came to Canada I had left my job, sold my car, stored my personal belongings in storage and did not plan on moving back to California. I have a friend in Illinois and that is where I would go if something had not gone my way.

I think the most important thing is to always be honest with the Border Agent. Everyone's experience will be different so always be prepared.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
MrsHBKelly said:
I don't think this is correct. Most US citizens get a six month stamp on their visa but there is no limit to the amount of days you can be in the country, if there were you wouldn't be able to apply for a visitor extension.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
kangamoose said:
I don't think this is correct. Most US citizens get a six month stamp on their visa but there is no limit to the amount of days you can be in the country, if there were you wouldn't be able to apply for a visitor extension.
Yeah, it didn't sound correct to me either. I have been here over a year. I have had one extension so far. I didn't even get a six month stamp in my passport. I guess it just depends on the border agent.

MrsHBKelly

Apr 24, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but it is indeed correct info. A visitor extention is your only loop hole and that costs $100 and you have to wait months for a response to your inquiry.

When I came for this most recent 6 month stay, I had come for 4 days earlier in the year and when they saw that on my passport they ripped me a new asshole for trying to spend more than 6 months in a calendar year in Canada. It is actually listed pretty clearly on the CIC website, I had just never seen it and assumed i had 6 consecutive months per visit, which is incorrect.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
MrsHBKelly said:
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but it is indeed correct info. A visitor extention is your only loop hole and that costs $100 and you have to wait months for a response to your inquiry.

When I came for this most recent 6 month stay, I had come for 4 days earlier in the year and when they saw that on my passport they ripped me a new asshole for trying to spend more than 6 months in a calendar year in Canada. It is actually listed pretty clearly on the CIC website, I had just never seen it and assumed i had 6 consecutive months per visit, which is incorrect.
Can you post a link to this info? All I can find on the website is this:

A border services officer at the port of entry in Canada will determine how long you can stay in Canada. Most visitors are allowed a six-month stay from the day they entered Canada. If the officer authorizes a stay of less than six months, they will indicate in your passport the date by which you must leave Canada.

If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1016&t=16

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
MrsHBKelly said:

Our immigration consultant told us this info too. However, if you do get 6 months then it is totally ok to apply for a visitor extension while in Canada for up to a year.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MrsHBKelly said:
No, it's not correct. There is no "6 months per year" rule. This is proven by the MANY people on this forum who have left and re-entered without issues, essentially spending years in Canada. This is also proven by those who have been given Visitor Records at the border for LONGER than 6 months. You got a bad CBSA officer.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-81.html#h-103

Authorized period of stay

(2) Subject to subsections (3) to (5), the period authorized for the stay of a temporary resident is six months or any other period that is fixed by an officer on the basis of

(a) the temporary resident's means of support in Canada;

(b) the period for which the temporary resident applies to stay; and

(c) the expiry of the temporary resident's passport or other travel document.

That is the law pertaining to how long visitors can stay. You will note that there is no mention of "6 months per year" or of any maximum amount of time.