+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to maintain Canadian status

SeniorStakes

Nov 7, 2018
Toronto
Hello Everyone,

I am currently grappling with a situation that requires careful planning and am hoping for insights and advice. By June 2024, I will have completed three years of physical presence in Canada which will make me eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. My wife, however, will only reach her 3-year mark in January 2025, seven months after me.

Further complicating matters is the fact that I have received a relocation offer from my employer who is willing to transfer me to the United States via an L1A visa, with possible filing for an EB1C. The new job in the US would commence in late 2024, around August or September. Another factor to consider is that we are expecting to welcome a child into our family in June 2024.

In light of this situation, I am considering two options to ensure my wife also attains three years of physical presence in Canada.

Option 1: Would it be practical for me to rent a home on the Canadian side of Niagara falls from September 2024 to February 2025, a period of 6 months, and commute to the US for work daily?

Option 2: Alternatively, could I rent a home on the US side of Niagara falls during the same period and have my wife cross the border into Canada daily for short durations?

I'm curious to know whether either of these possibilities could work, or if there might be other better alternatives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

devcicuser

Jan 11, 2024
can you not postpone your start date by few months? I am pretty sure transfer just means you do the same work from US, so it is just continuation of your current employment. that way you both can relocate in Feb 2025 together. why are you pushing yourself hard on the September deadline?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am currently grappling with a situation that requires careful planning and am hoping for insights and advice. By June 2024, I will have completed three years of physical presence in Canada which will make me eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. My wife, however, will only reach her 3-year mark in January 2025, seven months after me.

Further complicating matters is the fact that I have received a relocation offer from my employer who is willing to transfer me to the United States via an L1A visa, with possible filing for an EB1C. The new job in the US would commence in late 2024, around August or September. Another factor to consider is that we are expecting to welcome a child into our family in June 2024.

In light of this situation, I am considering two options to ensure my wife also attains three years of physical presence in Canada.

Option 1: Would it be practical for me to rent a home on the Canadian side of Niagara falls from September 2024 to February 2025, a period of 6 months, and commute to the US for work daily?

Option 2: Alternatively, could I rent a home on the US side of Niagara falls during the same period and have my wife cross the border into Canada daily for short durations?

I'm curious to know whether either of these possibilities could work, or if there might be other better alternatives. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Option 1 would be better as it will be really hard for Mom-to-be to travel daily. And as other member mentioned you can try pushing your date as much as possible that way you can cherish spending with your family at this wonderful phase of your life! Goodluck!