toben

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I've been living in Canada for almost 2 years now. I am applying for PR at the moment.
I wonder about ways to build a credit history and if it even works if one is not at least a permanent resident. I wonder if the credit history is tied to a SSN because that's what I have to enter when I apply for a credit card for example. If that's the case, since as a temporary worker I have to get a new SSN every "year", I can't build a history yet. That assumption is based on Chase having denied two credit card applications.

Is that the case? I haven't found resources about yet, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Thanks.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Most banks offer 'secured' credit cards; you place a deposit of (for example) $1000 and you can then access that money using the credit card. You're effectively putting a $1000 deposit on being able to access $1000 of credit (thereby making the card 'secure' for the bank).

These cards count towards yours credit history and are therefore a great way to build a credit history here. Once you've had the card running well for a while you will most likely be offered an upgrade to one of their regular products.

You SIN numbers are linked together, so getting a new number should not affect your credit score.

I have worked in credit (at a bank HQ) since moving to Canada, and have noticed no change in my TransUnion beacon score since becoming a PR and getting a new SIN #.

https://www.creditwalk.ca/secured-credit-card/

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
toben said:
I've been living in Canada for almost 2 years now. I am applying for PR at the moment.
I wonder about ways to build a credit history and if it even works if one is not at least a permanent resident. I wonder if the credit history is tied to a SSN because that's what I have to enter when I apply for a credit card for example. If that's the case, since as a temporary worker I have to get a new SSN every "year", I can't build a history yet. That assumption is based on Chase having denied two credit card applications.

Is that the case? I haven't found resources about yet, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Thanks.
SSN, lol. giveaway. OK, so - let's assume you were able to open a bank account. Being American, you were probably treated like a potential criminal (I was) and were completely turned off by your bank. And you're probably used to being judged on objective (non-personal) financial criteria. Not here. You'll have to get a face-to-face appointment with an officer where you have your account. They call it "personal attention," I call it a PITA, but thank the stars that I "look" like a desirable customer and have the right employer.

Scotia has its "StartRight program for newcomers," includes some types of credit for people who have been in the country less than 3 years; the other biggies probably also have their "newcomers" programs.

Finally - if all you want is a credit card - do the online application for CapitalOne mastercard.

As for your credit history - your name and address are used to track you as much as your SIN, so, no worries. To build a credit history, you just need to use credit and pay it off responsibly.