+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to apply for open work permit

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by wrandy, Mar 25, 2010.

  1. Hi there!
    My spouse and I has submitted a spousal sponsorship outland(Buffalo NY)on Jan 10 2010.My wife was the one sponsoring me.I am on a temporary work visa but I got laid off 8 months ago and I want to work to support my family backhome.Could anyone explain to me how to apply for an open work permit?Thank you!
  2. Hi

    OWP are only available to "in-Canada" spousal applications. You would have to get an LMO from an employer and then apply for a work permit.

  3. I opted to reply here instead of creating a new thread regarding on how to apply for an open work permit.

    My wife has started working in Canada as a Nurse. The fastest way we can think of for me and our 3 yr old son to get to Canada is for me to apply an open work permit visa status. I have searched the canadavisa site for the guidelines in applying for open work permit but couldn't seem to find any information. Everything seems to lead back to either getting a TRV or work permit first.

    Can please anyone shed some light on the steps to obtain an open work permit. And is it possible for me to apply for my son as well? See the situation is, I'm working in Singapore as an IT consultant and our son is in the Philippines with our parents and relatives.

    Thanks in advance.
  4. Hi kieboy,
    we're in the same case.. so happened to your case? were u able to find the correct application kit?
  5. Talk to the embassy. They should be able to help you figure out how to apply.

    Unless you are visa exempt, you need a TRV first. If you have a copy of your spouses job contract and work permit, you can ask the embassy about applying for an open work permit but otherwise you can do it from inside Canada by using a change of status form.

Share This Page