+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long is the visa good for?

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by annabruce, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. A single entry visa allows you to enter Canada only once. This visa may also be used for repeated entries into Canada from the USA or St. Pierre and Miquelon provided you do not enter another country. Such entries must occur within the time validated for your stay in Canada. For example, you may be given six months from the date you enter Canada at the port of entry.

    I need some help to interpret the above statement from the CIC website.

    On Feb 26th my wife was awarded a single entry visa. The visa expires on April 4th. She will be entering Canada (I hope), for a visit starting tomorrow. She is entering Canada from the USA and will be returning to the USA, where she is a student, from Russia, on F-1 status. When she visited in June they didn't limit her visit, consequently the default 6 month visit applied. She only stayed for a month. Assuming that they again don't limit her visit, does the above quote mean that she can travel back and forth between the USA and Canada for 6 months even though her visa will expire long before the 6 months ends?

    Thanks for your help.
  2. Hi

    1. Yes, if she is given 6 months on entry.

  3. Thanks, PMM.

    I guess this also means that she can't apply for a new visa until the 6 months ends. She would need to come back to Canada, and then apply for an extension/change of circumstances. When you receive an extension is the passport re-stamped, or do they simply update their own database? In other words, can she apply for an extension while still in the USA?
  4. She can only apply for an extension while she is in Canada. She' d be on implied status if she applied before the expiry of her allowable visit. If she is granted an extension, CPC will send her a visitor record indicating up to when she can stay in Canada. If she leaves Canada after the expiry of her TRV (visa stamped on the passport), she will have to apply for a new visa before she is allowed entry again even when made within the validity of her allowable visit or extension thereto.
  5. If she leaves Canada after the expiry of her TRV (visa stamped on the passport), she will have to apply for a new visa before she is allowed entry again even when made within the validity of her allowable visit or extension thereto.

    Thanks job_seeker, but I am confused again. You seem to be disagreeing with PMM.

    Three potential things in her passport:
    1. Her visa with her picture ( expires April 4th )
    2. A stamped date showing her entry ( March 6th )
    3. A date showing when she must leave.

    1) is in her passport. 2) is likely in her passport (don't know yet; don't se her for another 13 hours) If 3) does not exist, then by default she has 6 months in Canada, however on April 4th her visa ( the one stamped in with her picture) expires. If she returns to the USA on march 15th to return to her classes, and attempts to comes back again in August, there is still time remaining in that 6 months, however April 4th is long past. Can she enter Canada or does she need a new visa?

    This is our plan to keep her in Canada, atleast we hope. She returns to the USA on March 15th, finishes her degree, deals with a 2 month visit from her Mom and Aunt to the USA, and then comes to Canada in August. As soon as she crosses the border we will apply for an extension since her 6 months will end September 6th. In the meantime, she will apply for the optional practical training ( work for a year in the USA ) so she can prove continued ties to the USA. She needs to be able to return anyhow to attend her Can. permanent residence interview in Buffalo, unleess the interview is waived.

    Thanks guys, but I have to get this right for my wife.
  6. Here's what the instruction guide says:

    Note: Applicants who require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada: A renewal of a study or work permit or extension of visitor status does not affect your TRV. It is your responsibility to ensure your TRV remains valid if you wish to re-enter Canada after leaving. After leaving, you must apply for and obtain a TRV by applying to a Canadian visa office outside of Canada (see Application for a Temporary Resident Visa to Visit Canada-IMM 5256)

    So the way I understand it your wife needs a new visa when she exits Canada after the expiry of her TRV.


    Hmmm. Okay. I did not read further down.

    May I leave, then re-enter Canada?

    In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid study or work permit if you are returning to study or work in Canada.

    If you are a citizen of a country that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa to return, unless:

    * you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and
    * you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.

    Okay. PMM is right. As per the instruction guide, she can re-enter again. Sorry.
  7. Thanks PMM and Job_seeker.

    Job_seeker, those last two points you made from the CIC site are critical. I didn't read that, and it fully answers my question. Thanks a lot.
  8. I didn't either that is why I stayed put even when I had an approved extension. I guess sometimes we get stuck to a certain way of thinking and then never seem to get forward unless somebody else gives a push as your post and PMM's reply.
  9. Just got a call from her. She made it into Canada and has been given six months. So far, our plan is working beautifully. However, I think I will escort her over the border in August since she won't have as strong ties to the USA at that stage when her degree is finsihed and she only is remaining in the USA to work. Is this advisable?

    By the way, for those of you who are attempting visit your own spouse, Anna has not yet submitted her permanent residence application. However, when she attempts to enter again in August, the application will be in, and most likely I will have been approved as a sponsor. Thought I would mention this to help those of you who are also trying to visit your spouse. Visitor visas are possible. The permanent residence application does not have to be submitted yet. Just be honest, and show strong ties to your current place of residence. In Anna's letter of invitation, I very openly told them that we were married and a permanent residence application would be submitted as soon as the police report arrived.
  10. Great!!! Congratulations to the two of you. Always best to be honest. BTW are you a Canadian citizen?
  11. Yes, I am Canadian. My wife is Russian. She has maintained 7 years in temporary status in the USA and has never fallen out of status. This seems to really help her. I am hoping that they will see that our relationship is genuine on that basis, since she could have married an American at any point in the last 7 years.
  12. Being with her should help when she crosses again before the expiry of her initial visit. All the best to you both.
  13. So, here we are 6 weeks before she attempts to enter Canada AGAIN on the same SINGLE entry visa. The visa itself has long since expired, but her inital 6 month period given doesn't expire until September 6th. In theory, because she has only been to the USA she can reenter Canada until Sept. 6th. When she reenters on August 1st, will she only have the 1 month and a bit to stay in Canada ( difference between August 1st and September 6th ), or does the border guard have the authority to restart the clock and give her a new 6 month stay?

    This is rather critical so that we are certain not to cause her to fall out of status in Canada and submit the extension of status at the appropriate time.
  14. No, at least in my case they didn't place a new date. I don't know if that was because we drove. But my TRV was still valid when we crossed the border again.
  15. do they enter anything into database when one enters Canada from the US during 6 months validity period? I understand that they do not stamp passport again. do they register one's leaving and entering Canada somehow?

Share This Page