+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to get AB health card after registering ?

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear

Kindly advise how long it takes to get AB health card after registering for it in Calgury with relevant documents ?

If one has to leave Calgury after getting health card and he then settles in Toronto and uses the card there, will AB health ask us to pay for the bills ?

People on this forum have said that they might, but the website of AB health says you can notify them if you have to go for long time for some work engagements etc.

Does anyone know of AB health sending bill to the patient in this manner ?

Thanks

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Hi,

Sorry I am not sure about rest of your queries but my AB healthcard arrived within 7-10 days of applying IN PERSON at a Registry (whereas it took more than 6 weeks for my brother who applied through postal mail) so its always advisable to apply in person through local registry.

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Thanks a lot

I need a few more clarifications

You landed in Alberta -- after that . .

1. Did you first get ur SIN card or u didnt need it to apply for health card ?

2. What do u mean by local registry - is this the health office located nearest in ur town/city ?

3. You went there in person and applied, and then when it arrived u went there and picked it up in person as well ?

4. What documents did you give them when u applied ? I think they need proof that u are resident of that state -- so is a letter to our address from bank enough ?

of they need the lease agreement of flat etc ?
Do they also need SIN card ?

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
1. the SIN card is for employment and tax purposed. You need one before you can get a job. You apply at any Cdn gov't service centre in Calgary.

2. There are loads of private registry offices where you can do various things (get a drivers license, sign up for Alberta Health Care, vehicle registration, etc...)....you go there in person with your form filled out to get a AHC card. You need to bring pieces of ID to show you are a resident of Alberta (bank statement, utility bill, lease agreement...). They will mail you the card in about 7 days to your home address.

Find registries nearest you here.... http://www.albertaregistriesonline.com/

3. The AHC card gets mailed to you. You can't get any medical services until you have this card.

4. Fill out these forms.....you can find them on this site http://www.health.alberta.ca/ahcip/forms.html It tells you what pieces of ID you need to bring