CdnMxHusb

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This has probably been on the boards many times but then sometimes each case is different. I was born in Canada and as a child moved to Mexico and most of my life lived here. I have dual Citizenship. My older son (15)and middle son (9)have their Canadian birth certificates but my daughter (4) has it in process (just recently). My wife is Mexican.
At this moment I am still in Mexico but I am going to be moving to Canada this month. My older son is going with me. I want to establish residence first and start working and then bring my wife and 2 younger kids to live with us in Canada.
My question is, my wife will travel first with a Temporary visitor visa and while she is there, applies for the permanant residence? Or she can only be in Canada for a max of how long?
How can I sponsor my wife? What forms do I have to look for?
Also, my daughter will travel with her Mexican passport. Will she also need a visa even if her Canadian Citizenship is in process? I imagine that we have to mention this when they start processing the visas, correct? Do I also have to sponsor my daughter while she gets her Citizenship?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Aneyshar

Jul 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
GUAT
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-JUL-2011
Med's Done....
22-JUN-2011
There are in general two ways to sponsor your wife:

Outland: your wife remains in Mexico for the duration of the Permanent Residence (PR) application process. She could come to Canada as a visitor but that would depend on whether the Visa Office (VO) grants it to her, most of the times they would refuse a visa when a PR case is ongoing but you can try.

Inland: your wife applies from within Canada, whether under a visitor's permit or other kind of temporary residence visa.

Outland is the fastest process and offers you the advantage of being able to appeal in case of a refusal. For Mexico, the entire processing time is about 15 months, but you can get lucky and be done in less than that.

Inland takes longer, about 10 months for the first stage (sponsorship approval) plus another 12 months or so for the PR portion. There's no option to appeal an inland in case of refusal, also the applicant must remain in Canada while the process is ongoing, if she decides to leave, she may be refused re-entry which would jeopardize the entire process.

All the forms for Outland can be downloaded and filled out online here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

It's also more advisable to wait until your youngest daughter receives her Canadian Citizenship certificate and then apply for a Canadian passport. You don't need to sponsor your Canadian children, only your Mexican wife.

I suggest start with examining the forms and reading the guides, then post specific questions on this forum.

Good luck.