+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Can You Keep Your Permanent Resident Status???

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On the CIC website it says that:

"Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period."

Can someone please explain in more detail how this would work? For example, let's say that you came to Canada and stayed for 6 months and then you travel out of the country, what is the maximum number of months you can stay out of the country without losing your permanent residency?

Also for example, it says you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period, let's say you came to Canada and stayed for 6 months and then you travel out of the country and remain out of the country until 18 months before you reach 5 years of being a permanent resident. You come back and stay for 18 months to make it a total of two years out of five that you stayed in Canada, can you then travel out of the country again after you stayed two years out of the five? And if you can, how long can you remain out of Canada?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a rolling 5 year period so if you stayed 6 months at the start, then left for 3 years and then came back, you will have met your first 5 years requirements by staying for the next 18 months but if you then leave, after 5 years and 1 month of your PR, you do not have 2 years in Canada any more, you have 23 months, after 5 years and 2 months, you have only 22 etc. because each month is eating up some of your first 6 months in Canada. Therefore, if you leave for a full 3 years, you must stay a full two years before you can leave again and then you can be gone for another 3.

gagan_grover

Apr 10, 2013
Hello-
The 5 year cycle to retain our Canadian PR status kick started on January 1, 2012. Though we (me and my wife) got our PR cards, but we haven’t started physically staying in Canada yet. We are still working in US on an H1B visa for our respective US employers.
My wife works for a reputed IT company who has offices all across the globe. Though it’s primarily a US corporation, but they do have a fully owned subsidiary registered in Canada. If my wife is employed by the Canadian subsidiary company (i.e. salaried employee through a Canadian firm) and is further deputed to work in US on a full time project, then does the time spent in US will count towards the required minimum two years of stay in Canada? Please advise!

gagan_grover

Apr 10, 2013
Hello-
The 5 year cycle to retain our Canadian PR status kick started on January 1, 2012. Though we (me and my wife) got our PR cards, but we haven’t started physically staying in Canada yet. We are still working in US on an H1B visa for our respective US employers.
My wife works for a reputed IT company who has offices all across the globe. Though it’s primarily a US corporation, but they do have a fully owned subsidiary registered in Canada. If my wife is employed by the Canadian subsidiary company (i.e. salaried employee through a Canadian firm) and is further deputed to work in US on a full time project, then does the time spent in US will count towards the required minimum two years of stay in Canada? Please advise!