+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can non accompanying child, join later

ardaman

Apr 18, 2009
Hi

My query is regarding the dependent child of spouse (from first marriage) whose name has been Listed in the application for Permanent residency, the child has undergone medical examination too. The other family members have received their permanent residency immigrant visa. As the child was initially not accompanying the family members to Canada, the processing fee was not paid. Now if we want that the child should join the family in Canada, what procedure should be followed to accomplish this and what are the forms and other documents required for this?

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they have already landed, they can apply to sponsor the child, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

If they have not landed yet and wish to take the child with them at the same time, they will need to let immigration know about this plan and get a visa for the child as well. This will delay their going to Canada.

Bayarsaikhan

Mar 3, 2014
Dear all

My query is regarding the dependent child whose name has been Listed in the application for Permanent residency, as the child was initially accompanying the family members to Canada, the processing fee was paid and the child has undergone medical examination too. Then while final processing of immigration visas issuing for our family, the passport of the child was returned to her for traveling abroad to study at our request. Then later other family members have received their permanent residency immigrant visa. Now we are planning to land Canada as visa is expiring soon. Therefore if we want that the child should join the family in Canada later, what procedure should be followed to accomplish this and what are the forms and other documents required for this.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you land, you can sponsor your child for PR. It may take a few months depending on which visa office and you may need new medicals.

Bayarsaikhan

Mar 3, 2014
Thank you Leon

Another thing is that I am principal applicant and my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) listed defendants under Information Defendants, in that list the child mentioned above was listed as (UCI:# .......... Name ........., DOB......... CHILD-NON ACCOMPANYING).
Still we need reapply for PR after landed in Canada?

BTW, the child is now more than 18 years old. Thank you?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bayarsaikhan said:
Thank you Leon

Another thing is that I am principal applicant and my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) listed defendants under Information Defendants, in that list the child mentioned above was listed as (UCI:# .......... Name ........., DOB......... CHILD-NON ACCOMPANYING).
Still we need reapply for PR after landed in Canada?

BTW, the child is now more than 18 years old. Thank you?
Yes, because you listed the child as non-accompanying, the child was not granted a PR visa. However, by including an non accompanying and getting medicals done, you have kept the option open to sponsor the child later.

If you have not landed yet, you can ask the embassy if it is possible to change the status of the child to accompanying at this point. If the embassy agrees to do it, they will request all your passports back and re-issue all your visas but they might also just tell you that your file is closed and that you should go ahead and land and then sponsor your child.

You can sponsor a child under 22 who is not married or in a common law partnership. If the child is over 18 now, you will likely need a police clearance.

Bayarsaikhan

Mar 3, 2014
Leon said:
Yes, because you listed the child as non-accompanying, the child was not granted a PR visa. However, by including an non accompanying and getting medicals done, you have kept the option open to sponsor the child later.

If you have not landed yet, you can ask the embassy if it is possible to change the status of the child to accompanying at this point. If the embassy agrees to do it, they will request all your passports back and re-issue all your visas but they might also just tell you that your file is closed and that you should go ahead and land and then sponsor your child.

You can sponsor a child under 22 who is not married or in a common law partnership. If the child is over 18 now, you will likely need a police clearance.
Dear Leon

Thank you for advise. Currently she is studying in abroad and now unable to back country. Also our immigrant visa nearly expire. So we look the option to sponsor the child later. But by the time she finish university, she will get more than 22 years old and not married. In this circumanstances, can i sponsor the child?

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply to sponsor her before she turns 22, her age will be locked in. Even though she is not ready to move yet, she should then land quickly on her PR visa and then go back and finish her studies. She should however consider that she can only stay outside Canada for up to 3 years in the first 5 as a PR or she would lose her status. If she wants to reside in Canada with the family, it may be better for her to transfer to a university in Canada.

You should apply to sponsor her as soon as you have a job because immigration has been considering changing the age of dependent children from 22 to 18. If they do before you apply, you would not be able to sponsor her.

Bayarsaikhan

Mar 3, 2014
Leon said:
If you apply to sponsor her before she turns 22, her age will be locked in. Even though she is not ready to move yet, she should then land quickly on her PR visa and then go back and finish her studies. She should however consider that she can only stay outside Canada for up to 3 years in the first 5 as a PR or she would lose her status. If she wants to reside in Canada with the family, it may be better for her to transfer to a university in Canada.

You should apply to sponsor her as soon as you have a job because immigration has been considering changing the age of dependent children from 22 to 18. If they do before you apply, you would not be able to sponsor her.
Unfortunately she do not have PR visa and the reason is that While at the final processing of immigration visas issuing for our family including her name, her passport was withdraw to her at our email request for traveling abroad to study. We thought at that time we can send it back to Visa Office. But office informed we do not nessassary send back the passport. That is why she remain no PR visa and only her name UCI: number was listed in my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR).

My question is that when she get over 22 years old, can i sponsor her after i land Canada and find decent job?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she is still a full time student and financially dependent on her parents, she can still be sponsored if she is 22 or older under the current rules. However, this is another thing immigration was planning to change, they wanted to make the max. age 18 and rule out adult students as well. If they make these changes and you haven't sponsored her yet, you will lose your chance.