+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiring Immigration Consultant / Representative For Express Entry?

drummerlover33

Star Member
Aug 19, 2015
Hi all,

I just got my ITA through Express Entry. I'd like to ask for the forum's opinion on getting an Immigration Consultant to process my application for me. Is filing an application for Express Entry a relatively simple process in that it can be successfully accomplished by myself? Or is it a process with a lot of pitfalls; and that it would be wiser to get a consultant instead of facing refusal 6 months down the road?

Hope you guys can give me some advice. :)

Thanks!

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You can do it yourself as long as you do it correctly. There are lots of nice people on the forum who are very helpful. You can post your queries here. However, if you dont have time and you have spare cash, you can pay someone to fill up the form for you. You will have control over your application as some consultants keep login details and you have to beg them for updates. If you do it yourself, you can keep a track of your progress. Consultants dont have a magic wand and dont have any powers to make your decision faster.

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
xpressentry said:
You can do it yourself as long as you do it correctly. There are lots of nice people on the forum who are very helpful. You can post your queries here. However, if you dont have time and you have spare cash, you can pay someone to fill up the form for you. You will have control over your application as some consultants keep login details and you have to beg them for updates. If you do it yourself, you can keep a track of your progress. Consultants dont have a magic wand and dont have any powers to make your decision faster.
That's true! Do it yourself, just follow what is required and you should be fine.

hasan.hadi

Sep 24, 2015
Baghdad
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/2/2017
Nomination.....
12/4/2017
i don't think a consultant is needed at any stage of the process its straight forward.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Unless you have a complicated background, don't bother with a lawyer.

malican

May 24, 2016
Just to add to the already mentioned comments... do it by yourself. Consultants/Lawyers will just consume your cash and I am sure with the kowledge you gain here you will be able to do much more than they can.

thatRossMBA

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drummerlover33 said:
Hi all,

I just got my ITA through Express Entry. I'd like to ask for the forum's opinion on getting an Immigration Consultant to process my application for me. Is filing an application for Express Entry a relatively simple process in that it can be successfully accomplished by myself? Or is it a process with a lot of pitfalls; and that it would be wiser to get a consultant instead of facing refusal 6 months down the road?

Hope you guys can give me some advice. :)

Thanks!
You are asking this question to a biased sample set..
Most people who do not want to use consultants are on this forum and most people who use consultants do not have to be on this forum..

Having said that, there is plenty of good to excellent information on this forum with which you can easily complete the application on your own.. I truly feel things are explained well by CIC and if you have doubts, people here will help you.. I have lived in the US for more than 12 years and have traveled to 3 other countries and as much as I can, have always done my visa/immigration paperwork myself...

But, I have a consultant this time around. Why? In one word, Convenience
1. At this stage of my life, I do not have the mental bandwidth any more to follow each letter to the dot
2. Information is just a phone call away
3. Since consultants have done this hundreds of times, there is a lower probability of them making a mistake or missing something out

I still spend a lot of time on this forum (more recently since the downward trend) as there is excellent info here that I use to supplement info from my consultant.. I am going to apply for Canada PR once in my life, I want to be as thorough as I can..

Reactions: shifs and ijaz_ch84

Meetushi

Aug 3, 2017
Most people who do not want to use consultants are on this forum and most people who use consultants do not have to be on this forum..

Having said that, there is plenty of good to excellent information on this forum with which you can easily complete the application on your own.. I truly feel things are explained well by CIC and if you have doubts, people here will help you.. I have lived in the US for more than 12 years and have traveled to 3 other countries and as much as I can, have always done my visa/immigration paperwork myself...

1. At this stage of my life, I do not have the mental bandwidth any more to follow each letter to the dot
3. Since consultants have done this hundreds of times, there is a lower probability of them making a mistake or missing something out

I still spend a lot of time on this forum (more recently since the downward trend) as there is excellent info here that I use to supplement info from my consultant.. I am going to apply for Canada PR once in my life, I want to be as thorough as I can..
I am also in process of collecting my documents.Would you mind sharing the details of your consultant?As I am totally confused with the number of consultants available.
Thanks

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017

I certainly agree with this. Hiring a Consultant will not give you any advantage compared to others when it comes to the final PR decision. Also, seniors on this forum are super helpful and will probably be happy to reply most of your questions. I would like to take the opportunity to thank them.

However, the process is long and although people say it's easy, I have a different opinion. I am doing a HR job and used to deal with admin matters. As said above, this is a one in a lifetime process and I want to make sure I prepared it as well as I can.

I will share what is my very own experience, applying to permanent residence.

I created a first EE profile and was rejected. I then decided to look for a Consultant to assist my partner and I in the process. Basically for my case, I pay the Consultant for information and advice only, but so far, I am very happy with the service. Since then, I received ITA and now going to submit e-APR in the coming days.

The stressful part was to be able to chose a Consultant I could trust. I used to work in Sales before and I know too much what the job is and what some sales people do after you forward the last part of the payment. I contacted several Consultants and for my specific case, I received different suggestions and advices regarding to how to proceed. I then did my own research and found out that what one of them said, made much more sense, doing this job for a while; so I hired her.

By contract, you pay the Consultant for a certain amount of hours. She has not counted the hours and I must say we are soliciting her a lot on various questions (after all, we paid for a service). I live in Japan and she traveled here on her holidays; she booked an appointment with us to discuss how things go.

The service is not cheap. Again, perhaps this is just me who prefer to get information from various sources before submitting anything to IRCC. Also I am new to immigration processes and am "concerned" by nature, which to be honest served me well so far. I guess hiring a Consultant made sense for me; it may not for someone else, I do not know.

I do not want to make any promotion on this forum so will not mention the agent's contact here, but let me know if you want her contacts, I'd be happy to recommend her.

Good luck with your applciation!