+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!!!

Ross

Sep 2, 2007
Dear Immigration Aficianados,

My wife and I are in the process of deciding what the best route for our immigration application will be. Having returned from a month in B.C we know where we want to be, and have developed a bit of an understanding of the place.

We are both in our 20s, and have discovered a program which provides a one year working visa. The main question we have is whether we can apply for permanent residence whilst in Canada (i.e using this working visa to leapfrog the rather slow process of applying for permanent residence from outside the country), or if it would be advisable to bite the bullet, and run the agonizingly slow gamut of applying for permanent residence and waiting.

Does anyone know how long current waits are through London (assuming you meet criteria and the paperwork progresses smoothly)?

Would anyone who has gone through this process fro the UK be prepared to donate some of their time and hard won expertise to talk us through it?

Sincerely, and with many thanks,

Ross

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
Hi Ross, best thing to do if you know you meet the criteria is to take the 1 year working visa and then apply when you get there, this will mean you can apply through Buffalo which is a lot faster than the London office. I did the exact same route, starting in November and I've already been tentaviely approved and have been asked to submit my medical, police clearance and proof of funds by the end of July (waits in London are about 3 years if I remember rightly)

Ross

Sep 2, 2007
Very many thanks. It seems that, like most things in Britain, our local providers are slower, more expensive and less competent than those available elsewhere.

Appreciate the advice. One other qick question - who did you use to get the working visa - BUNAC are offering them for about £160 each.

Ross.

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
I went through BUNAC twice. Ended up working with the firm that is the Canadian equivalent SWAP and have a lot of time and respect for the person who is the head of the program and the people at the Toronto office. Not sure how much others charge for the visa but these guys give you access to the internet, fax machines, phones, a mailing , job leads, organise nights out for people in the program to help you meet people and try to help with any disputes with landlords or employers. As I said, don't know about any other programs but only have good things to say with regard to BUNAC

Ross

Sep 2, 2007
Thanks muchly! Hugely helpful advice, and having spoken to BUNAC today I feel really positive. We'll be applying in December and hope to arrive in Canada some time in Feb.

Ross.