+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help on sponsoring elder sister

Ely08

Jan 24, 2009
Hi! I'm on a 2 yrs working visa right now and I will process my BC PNP application this coming week. I was advised to wait for my permanent papers to be approved before sponsoring family members. For my self peace of mind, could I sponsor my elder sister who is 27 yrs old now, single but with a 2 yr old son? I read from CIC website that only the parents and INDEPENDENT brothers/sisters are eligible to sponsor. Is there a way I could sponsor my sister? pls help! thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ely08 said:
Hi! I'm on a 2 yrs working visa right now and I will process my BC PNP application this coming week. I was advised to wait for my permanent papers to be approved before sponsoring family members. For my self peace of mind, could I sponsor my elder sister who is 27 yrs old now, single but with a 2 yr old son? I read from CIC website that only the parents and INDEPENDENT brothers/sisters are eligible to sponsor. Is there a way I could sponsor my sister? pls help! thanks!
1, No you cannot sponsor your sister even when you become a PR (there are some exceptions)
2. If you live in Man/Alta/Sask they have a family program for sponsorship, but you would have to check out their PNP sites on the web.

PMM

Ely08

Jan 24, 2009
That is so disappointing but thank you for the information.
If i could find an employer for my sister to get her a working visa, is my presence her in canada would affect her application positively or negatively?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your sister is to get a temporary work permit, they need to believe that she will leave at the end of it. Having relatives is not necessarily better. Also, what is her profession? If she has skills needed in BC, that would definitely help.

You could also, after you get PR, check into moving to Manitoba or SK and sponsoring her under their PNP's. Alberta too but you'd have to live there 2 years before you can sponsor, in MB and SK it's only 1.

Ely08

Jan 24, 2009
i read from one of the conversation here in forum that you can sponsor other relatives (not included from the eligible family member - spouse,parents/grandparents, dependent brother/sister) if you meet the following criteria:
-principal sponsor is single, unmarried and no child,
-parents / grandparents are deceased,
-you dont have any relative here in canada
-you dont have anymore primary family to sponsor

If this is the case can I now sponsor my elder sister?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you have absolutely no family in Canada and you have no children, parents, grandparents or other closer relatives to sponsor, you may sponsor your sister.

Ely08

Jan 24, 2009
actually, we still have our parents but both of them have their own separate families now. I dont have contacts with my father anymore since they were separated but I heard he has a new wife and children now. My mom has a new husband too (they are married) and I have 3 half brothers with them. They don't want to migrate here in canada. Would the immigration consider these factors so i could sponsor my sister? Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ely08 said:
actually, we still have our parents but both of them have their own separate families now. I dont have contacts with my father anymore since they were separated but I heard he has a new wife and children now. My mom has a new husband too (they are married) and I have 3 half brothers with them. They don't want to migrate here in canada. Would the immigration consider these factors so i could sponsor my sister? Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!
No, as you parents are still alive, whether they wish to emigrate or not.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Ely08 said:
Would that mean I could sponsor my mom, step dad and dependents half-brothers too?
You could sponsor them if you can meet the Low Income Cutoff figure, and they dependents are under 22 and not in C/law married relationship. Your sister could not be included in this application.

PMM

Ely08

Jan 24, 2009
that is so sad... i guess i just have to find my sister an employer here. thanks to all who reply!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also found this strange when my brother was thinking about immigrating to Canada and asked if I could sponsor him. I was also told that our parents being alive (who are in their 70's and would contribute absolutely nothing to Canadian economy aside from the fact that they have absolutely no interest in immigrating to Canada) would stop me from sponsoring my brother.

So if you want to help your sister, you have 2 options. You can try to find her a job in BC. If she is not skilled, look at their PNP program for low skilled jobs that qualify for PR and see if she has experience in any of those. Other than than, see if she qualifies under AB, MB or SK PNP family stream and move to one of those provinces and sponsor her.