+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed! PR Card won't arrive by the time I leave Canada

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

I landed on May 31, 2017. Based on current first PR card processing time, it takes 65 days to be ready. I have a scheduled flight to Taiwan on August 4. I am almost certain that I won't be getting my PR card by the time I leave Canada. So that leaves me a straightforward solution: Apply for a Travel Document when I am in Taiwan. Since they don't have a visa office in Taiwan, so I called up the VTA, and they told me it will take a month for travel document to be approved. Now the problem is I can't stay in Taiwan for a month, I have to come back to Canada on August 21. If I decided to apply for PRTD in Taiwan, I am risking not having my passport by the time I need to come back. If I decided to come back to Canada without PRTD, I am risking deny of entry. Any suggestions?

- I have asked CIC agent if I can have my friend mail the PR card from Canada to Taiwan. They say that's illegal.
- I was wondering if I can come in as visitor (not declaring PR status at all) and flagpoll after I go home and grab my PR card

Thanks.

InUkCa

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Draw 10 | LAA: 28 Nov 15 | MPNP:24 Jan 16 | SP2: 7 Feb16 | SP2 Resubmission : 15 Feb 16 | Received Status: 22 Feb 16 | CIC: 31 Aug 16
Doc's Request.
SP2 : To resubmit 15 Jan 16
Nomination.....
Assessment Pending: 8 July 16 | SP2 Interview: 21 July 16 | Applicant Interview: 27 July 2016 | Assessment in process: 28 July 16 | Assessment Complete: 2 August 2016 | Nomination Letter (LOA): 11 August 2016
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2016(XEP to EP), 28 Dec 2016
File Transfer...
28 Dec 2016
Med's Done....
05 Jan 2017 (passed)
Passport Req..
16 Feb 2017 (Passport sent on 23 Feb 2017)
VISA ISSUED...
14 March 2017
LANDED..........
25 March 2017
IRCC agent told me it's illegal, and worst case you may loose your PR status..
Hi @ gn02090867
In various posts it is suggested that friend can mail PR card and then you can travel back using the PR card.
1. Did the IRCC agent refer to any document to support this or it is just the opinion of said IRCC agent.
2. Has anyone used this method of leaving Canada before receiving PR Card and then getting it in home country and travelling back using PR Card instead of PRTD.

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
Hi everyone,

I landed on May 31, 2017. Based on current first PR card processing time, it takes 65 days to be ready. I have a scheduled flight to Taiwan on August 4. I am almost certain that I won't be getting my PR card by the time I leave Canada. So that leaves me a straightforward solution: Apply for a Travel Document when I am in Taiwan. Since they don't have a visa office in Taiwan, so I called up the VTA, and they told me it will take a month for travel document to be approved. Now the problem is I can't stay in Taiwan for a month, I have to come back to Canada on August 21. If I decided to apply for PRTD in Taiwan, I am risking not having my passport by the time I need to come back. If I decided to come back to Canada without PRTD, I am risking deny of entry. Any suggestions?

- I have asked CIC agent if I can have my friend mail the PR card from Canada to Taiwan. They say that's illegal.
- I was wondering if I can come in as visitor (not declaring PR status at all) and flagpoll after I go home and grab my PR card

Thanks.
Perhaps can consider entering Canada by private/rental car from US..just need to show COPR.

This link may also help:
http://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/leaving-canada/i-need-to-leave-canada-but-do-not-have-my-pr-card-yet-what-should-i-do/

walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
The documents needed for PRTD are many and not easy to get specially when you spent short time in canada after landing,, also the officer has the right to decide to give this PRTD or no,, so it sounds complicated and uncertain to me,, since I have the same problem and looking for solutions,, can I use some lawyer to receive the PR card and mail it to me?? I don't have relatives or friends there in canada

JattTinka

Aug 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Drive to US, take flight from there to Taiwan, then fly from Taiwan to US and then drive back to Canada.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy :D

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The documents needed for PRTD are many and not easy to get specially when you spent short time in canada after landing,, also the officer has the right to decide to give this PRTD or no,, so it sounds complicated and uncertain to me,, since I have the same problem and looking for solutions,, can I use some lawyer to receive the PR card and mail it to me?? I don't have relatives or friends there in canada
The PRTD app for a new PR is fairly simple, as you don't need to prove you have met the Residency Obligation. You just include an LOE explaining the situation.

The officer does NOT have "the right to decide to give this PRTD or no". If you qualify, the PRTD will be issued.

walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
UPDATE

You are right, I called IRCC agent again today. They said they don't advise people to mail their PR card, but it's completely up to them. It might get stuck at custom, you will just have to reapply again when you come back to Canada.

Any advices on mailing PR card ? I am thinking of Fedex or UPS worldwide express (usually delivered in 2 business days)

Thank you all for your responses.

InUkCa

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Draw 10 | LAA: 28 Nov 15 | MPNP:24 Jan 16 | SP2: 7 Feb16 | SP2 Resubmission : 15 Feb 16 | Received Status: 22 Feb 16 | CIC: 31 Aug 16
Doc's Request.
SP2 : To resubmit 15 Jan 16
Nomination.....
Assessment Pending: 8 July 16 | SP2 Interview: 21 July 16 | Applicant Interview: 27 July 2016 | Assessment in process: 28 July 16 | Assessment Complete: 2 August 2016 | Nomination Letter (LOA): 11 August 2016
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2016(XEP to EP), 28 Dec 2016
File Transfer...
28 Dec 2016
Med's Done....
05 Jan 2017 (passed)
Passport Req..
16 Feb 2017 (Passport sent on 23 Feb 2017)
VISA ISSUED...
14 March 2017
LANDED..........
25 March 2017
UPDATE

You are right, I called IRCC agent again today. They said they don't advise people to mail their PR card, but it's completely up to them. It might get stuck at custom, you will just have to reapply again when you come back to Canada.

Any advices on mailing PR card ? I am thinking of Fedex or UPS worldwide express (usually delivered in 2 business days)

Thank you all for your responses.
1. The risk in transit is there, the courier can loose it, I agree with that.
2. Over the last few days try to figure it out, but can't find any thing that IRCC says it is illegal to mail it out side Canada. It's IRCC policy to send it ONLY to Canada address (as permanent resident is supposed to live in Canada).
3. Why it might get stuck in custom is again questionable, how come it becomes prohibited item? It appears the IRCC agents provide their personal opinion instead of any law/policy.
4. I came across at least one person who returned to Canada with PR Card to him by friend/family.
5. Please update which courier you found best DHL/Fedex/UPS/ etc , but I noted that Canada Post is the most economical charging just 1/4th of others.

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
1. The risk in transit is there, the courier can loose it, I agree with that.
2. Over the last few days try to figure it out, but can't find any thing that IRCC says it is illegal to mail it out side Canada. It's IRCC policy to send it ONLY to Canada address (as permanent resident is supposed to live in Canada).
3. Why it might get stuck in custom is again questionable, how come it becomes prohibited item? It appears the IRCC agents provide their personal opinion instead of any law/policy.
4. I came across at least one person who returned to Canada with PR Card to him by friend/family.
5. Please update which courier you found best DHL/Fedex/UPS/ etc , but I noted that Canada Post is the most economical charging just 1/4th of others.
I have never sent an ID oversea before. But based on my personal experience, Canada Post is definitely the cheapest, and the least reliable one. When the parcel is arrived at local destination, it's being delivered with another courier. Fedex and UPS are worldwide. If money isn't an issue, I think Fedex/UPS are the best options.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Stick with FedEx/UPS/DHL with signature required. Don't take chances with the courier losing your card. It's not that expensive.