+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for Employers of Live in caregivers who quit

gracin

Jul 3, 2012
I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been in our situation. We hired a live in care-giver through a referral agency. The process from start to finish took 8 months. It cost just shy of $4000., with referral fees, airfare, and temporary health insurance.
The lady arrived, worked two weeks, and quit without notice. She did not attempt to befriend the kids. She did not seem interested in becoming a part of the family. We feel that she had no intention of staying with us any longer than she had to, and has used our family and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to get to Canada.

There does not appear to be any recourse for us in terms of compensation from the care-giver, referral agency, Service Canada, CIC or the HRDC. All protection within law seems to be for the person immigrating. We do not even know the whereabouts of the lady who posed as a nanny. Is there anything in terms of help available to employers who find themselves in this situation? How can others prevent this from happening?

thank you

Reactions: Gingergal

out

Jun 23, 2012
im not an agency, an employer or belongs to LCP class but hearing your predicament is so sad and unfair to you who shed time,money and effort only to get a share of frustation and disappointment. maybe you can make an appeal to the CIC what guidelines they can make to protect the interest of all the employer in cooperation of the agency who in part is responsible of hiring candidates. it's not only the workers who should be protected by but the employers as well who also need protection against worker who have no conscience to be of service at least to finish a year and when resigning there should be a hearing body to arbirate if both parties are agreeable for parting ways.

doquer83

Star Member
Apr 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-13-2012
gracin said:
I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been in our situation. We hired a live in care-giver through a referral agency. The process from start to finish took 8 months. It cost just shy of $4000., with referral fees, airfare, and temporary health insurance.
The lady arrived, worked two weeks, and quit without notice. She did not attempt to befriend the kids. She did not seem interested in becoming a part of the family. We feel that she had no intention of staying with us any longer than she had to, and has used our family and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to get to Canada.

There does not appear to be any recourse for us in terms of compensation from the care-giver, referral agency, Service Canada, CIC or the HRDC. All protection within law seems to be for the person immigrating. We do not even know the whereabouts of the lady who posed as a nanny. Is there anything in terms of help available to employers who find themselves in this situation? How can others prevent this from happening?

thank you
that's sad to hear...that is why some employers write an agreement on the contracts that the caregiver needs to work w/ them for a minimum of 6 months before they can terminate the contract.

maybe you can contact CIC to report the matter and ask for some advice on what to do because she did not give you a notice.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Wow that sucks! Lots of people find very caring, wonderful caregivers through the program though, so don't judge everyone by that. We found a wonderful nanny who is in the LCP. Next time, you might want to find someone who is in the LCP, but already in Canada. Then you can meet them in person, have them spend a bit of time with your children, call previous Canadian references, etc. You might have more success that way. And then you don't have to pay for airfare, etc. And honestly, you don't NEED an agency to find an LCP nanny. We did not use an agency.

Good luck with your next nanny!

ACNA Canada

Jul 5, 2012
Gracin:

Can you please call us at 1.800.820.8308 or acnacanada@gmail.com

You are not the only employer that has experienced this , in fact it is becoming more common.
Please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Association of Caregiver & Nanny agencies Canad
acnacanada.com

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
That is breach of contract so you have a recourse within the justice system. You may not recover your money back but at least you can do something.

gracin said:

thank you

europegirl

Mar 21, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
NOC 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-feb.2012
Doc's Request.
Completed. 17-Feb.2012
AOR Received.
25-Apr. 2012
IELTS Request
No IELTS Required
Med's Request
2-Jul-2012 dated 25-June-2012
Med's Done....
11-July-2012 Result sent July 18, 2012
Interview........
25-06-2012
Passport Req..
SUbmitted together with other Documents 17-Feb. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
October 2012
lucybear05 said:
Wow that sucks! Lots of people find very caring, wonderful caregivers through the program though, so don't judge everyone by that. We found a wonderful nanny who is in the LCP. Next time, you might want to find someone who is in the LCP, but already in Canada. Then you can meet them in person, have them spend a bit of time with your children, call previous Canadian references, etc. You might have more success that way. And then you don't have to pay for airfare, etc. And honestly, you don't NEED an agency to find an LCP nanny. We did not use an agency.

Good luck with your next nanny!
Hi lucybear,

I agree with you, we can't blame other people to judge others just because of the wrong doings. I'm under LCP, and currently on process my application here in Norway. Well, I'm lucky because my employer sponsor me and give me a chance to work in your country. and as a return, I will prove to them that they deserve me as their LIC. She may not saw me in person, but she saw me in Skype.. She interviewed me using that application.

I hope that Gracin will find a new nanny soon, there's a lot of ways instead of getting an agency.. and I HOPE that, Canadian families will give a chance to US foreigners outside Canada, to work, explore your country, know your traditions and culture and if God's will, LIVE in your Country.,

God Bless

Thai224

May 7, 2012
gracin said:

thank you

s
so sad ..this could really affect like us who are still dreaming to work in Canada...as nannies.... :(

kannara

Dec 29, 2013
I am in a similar situation. After waiting for nearly 1 year, the selected caregiver to help a disabled person is quitting within 4 months as some one else has enticed her with a better offer. A canadian citizen who has worked and paid taxes for 40 years is being left to fend for himself, All the rules in the LMO/ Permit seem to favour the new prospective immigrant without any regard for the employer. Breaking the contract seems so simple that agencies are encouraging them to do it.
Hope the Government of Canada tightens the rules so that it is not at least disadvantageous to the resident of 40 years so as to benefit a caregiver from another country.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi kannara,

sorry to hear about your sad situation,i hope you find some sort of help for the person needing the care.
but the thing here is,what would you like the canadian government to do for you,any workers are allowed to quit their jobs regardless of their status so foreign workers are exactly like permanent residence and canadian citizens and can terminate a contract anytime for any reason or NO reason but a written notice should be given as per the employment standards in that province to allow the employer to find himself/herself a back up plan.
the canadian government will never impose something such as stoping live in caregivers from terminating their contracts simply because this is not a slavery country.
you can try and hire locally,im sure you can find a qualified and suitable candidate without going through the hassle of hiring from abroad but you should be willing to pay a good wage depending on the location of the employment and respect the employment standards in your province.
looking for a cheap slavery labour from abroad to exploit and keep for years under though conditions and cry that the government does not protect canadian employers is not a real fact

good luck :)

kannara

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for your reply Canadavisa13.
The Government should at least balance the rules uniformly in favour of the employer and the employee.
Now it is skewed in favour of the employee .
An employee's false accusations of abuse should be verified by an independent agency before the LMO is transfered to another employer .
The employee be required to work for at least 1 year before breaking a 2 year contract.
There should be penalties for breaking the contract on both sides
The new employer poaching a caregiver should be made to wait for sometime before he obtains a LMO
Are there any penalties for a caregiver tsking up a second job while on a LMO specifying 1 employer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
LMOs cannot be transferred. If an employee wishes to change employers, they need a brand new LMO and a brand new work permit. If the employee has changed jobs without obtaining a branch new LMO and a brand new work permit - then they are working illegally.

kannara

Dec 29, 2013
What options are available to an employer when the employee has moved out and has started working elsewhere other than the permitted name within 4 months of immigration? Does the Government care to find out?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - CIC is certainly interested in hearing about immigration fraud such as illegal work. Information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/protection/fraud/report.asp

Gingergal

Oct 18, 2017

thank you
The same thing just happened to me! I’m a quadriplegic and my employee went to the city with her boyfriend/quick husband she found and texted me she quit! I’m struggling to find more people, but what are these useless “contracts” for? Every caregiver I have had has broken the contract right away! Two weeks vacation........ they book a month off then tell me! In my contract it says night time help....... they have walkie talkies so I can call them. I was told by the lady who quit, that they turn off their walkie talkies when they don’t want to help me. So, I have to wake up my “husband” (who works 5am-11pm some days) so he then looses sleep, is angry, and he’s not my caregiver in fact barely a husband anymore! You used to be able to charge them for utilities $118/month. Not now they live with you for free! I’m not rich!! My bills are now $2000/month, they used to be $200/month. Water is always running, lights are always on! I can’t have homecare because they don’t show up, they tell me just call your husband he can go home and take care of you! He needs to work! I make $2000/month. I understand why some disabled people end up homeless or commit suicide. But the rights are all for these people that you have found to HELP make your life a little bit easier, but that doesn’t happen. They have more rights than what I do as a Canadian!