+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health coverage when moving from Alberta to BC

donniel

Aug 21, 2012
Hi all!

If a new resident (who has completed their landing) arrives in Calgary, Alberta with the intention of staying for 6 months (more than the 183 days minimum for AHIP) and then moving to BC, will they still be eligible for coverage? I've heard some people say that the resident will have to repay any costs for medical services rendered in this case because they haven't stayed a full year?!

Also, as I understand it, they will be able to move to BC and apply for the BC MSP and enjoy 3 months (approx) of coverage from AHIP while waiting for the BC MSP to kick in? Is that right?

Thanks for your help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Every province lists in their eligibility for health care that in order to be eligible for their health care, you have to make your home in that province for more than 6 months a year. It does not say whether you intend to, just that you will. If you go to one province, get health care there and then leave without staying for 6 months in that year, they could decide that you were never eligible for their health care in the first place and make you pay back everything you have cost them.

Note that the bills you may have cost them could be higher than if you had paid out of pocket because doctors/hospitals often bill the health care differently (more) than they bill paying customers. I do not know how common it is that you would have to pay back but I have heard of such a case in BC, a woman who landed in BC, did her waiting period for health care there, ended up leaving after 5 months total, did not go back to BC in the next 7 months and so they cancelled her coverage retroactively and sent her the bill to repay everything they had paid for her which was a big bill because she had a baby there.

If you want to be sure you wont have a problem and you want to settle in AB, make sure you stay for 6 months. Then you can move to BC and enjoy your 3 months of AB health care while you wait for BC health care to kick in. Again, make sure you stay in BC for at least 6 months.

donniel

Aug 21, 2012
Thanks Leon! That answers the question perfectly! As per your advice, we'll make sure that the resident in question (my father) spends 6 months in Alberta before moving to BC for good.