+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b holders in the US

Madhu589

Feb 19, 2019
Hi guys!!!

Can anyone help on my query.

I am having a canadian PR and and h1b in USA.I want to keep my canadian PR active.For my work purposes i would like to stay in Ann arbor and go for job in Windsor.MY question is

1) will my canada PR be active by border crossing daily from ann arbor to windsor which satisfies the condition of 2 year residency criteria of canadian PR

2)crossing the border daily from USA to Canada will be counted as a single day spent in Canada?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi guys!!!

Can anyone help on my query.

I am having a canadian PR and and h1b in USA.I want to keep my canadian PR active.For my work purposes i would like to stay in Ann arbor and go for job in Windsor.MY question is

1) will my canada PR be active by border crossing daily from ann arbor to windsor which satisfies the condition of 2 year residency criteria of canadian PR

2)crossing the border daily from USA to Canada will be counted as a single day spent in Canada?
1. This idea sounds like a trouble. I dont think you can work this out as both sides will ask how you try to work 2 jobs in 2 countries(it wont be a problem if you hold citizenships of both countries but on visa/PR its hell).
Is it part time in Windsor? Or you just trying to maintain residency for which you are finding way?

Madhu589

Feb 19, 2019
Hi hari.Not 2 jobs in 2 countries.i am a h1b holder in usa.for work purposes i need to stay in Ann arbor.for the purpose of keepinf the PR active and to satisfy the 2 year residency criteria .can i cross the border every weekend to make it upto 2 year icompulsary being in canada

In 5 years?

Since my spouse is a h4 dependant.ITs little difficilt for getting jobs in usa.And we also are a canadian PR.Can my spoae cross the border daily to work in windapr if mu spouse gets a job there and comimh to canada daily for work counts in 2 year residency satisfaction?

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hi hari.Not 2 jobs in 2 countries.i am a h1b holder in usa.for work purposes i need to stay in Ann arbor.for the purpose of keepinf the PR active and to satisfy the 2 year residency criteria .can i cross the border every weekend to make it upto 2 year icompulsary being in canada

In 5 years?

Since my spouse is a h4 dependant.ITs little difficilt for getting jobs in usa.And we also are a canadian PR.Can my spoae cross the border daily to work in windapr if mu spouse gets a job there and comimh to canada daily for work counts in 2 year residency satisfaction?
Do it other way around, stay in Windsor and travel to US on a daily basis using H1B. You will satisfy Canadian residency requirements while being able to hold your US job. Search on forum as many people seem to do this without much issue.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

In 5 years?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/daily-commute-detroit-windsor-h1b-and-canada-pr.501011/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/