+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C and question 18

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
I hope someone can help me with this question. I'm trying to fill out the PR card renewal application and I'm stumped on question 18:

18. Has an Immigration Officer ever issued you a Report Under subsection 44(1) or made the decision that you have not met the residency obligations required of Canadian permanent residents?
When I last entered, I was a couple of months short of the obligation and the officer allowed me to keep my pr status on H&C grounds. I wasn't given any document so I'm really confused.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were not given any paperwork, the answer is no, you were not reported.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur in the post by Leon but add a caution: be sure you do not apply for the PR card until you are definitely in compliance with the PR obligation -- this is, be sure you meet the 730 days in Canada in five year obligation.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
I concur in the post by Leon but add a caution: be sure you do not apply for the PR card until you are definitely in compliance with the PR obligation -- this is, be sure you meet the 730 days in Canada in five year obligation.
And to add, try not to leave/re-enter Canada while you don't meet the PR obligations. Even though you weren't reported one time, you may be reported the next time you tried and didn't meet RO. It's a risk each time.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
Thank you for your answers. My main concern is the second part of the question, when the officer found I will not meet the obligation, is that equivalent to him "deciding" I didn't meet the obligation?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
septimius said:
Thank you for your answers. My main concern is the second part of the question, when the officer found I will not meet the obligation, is that equivalent to him "deciding" I didn't meet the obligation?
Question is poorly drafted...answer no....a decision for IRPA purposes must include paperwork including any appeal rights...this never happened for you.